Finally got an E1 certificate!

https://ipv6-things.srv.peterjin.org/

(if you're still stuck on IPv4, sorry...)

8 Likes

Congratulations! I'm glad to see that the system is working for you and that you were able to get one of the E1 certs. I love seeing affirmation that the LE is working the way it's intended to do; thanks for doing that.

2 Likes

I also tried it and it worked perfectly, so much so that I force renewed my existing ECC certificates.

:smiley:

2 Likes

I wish I could find a good emoji to represent elliptic curves!

Maybe this :heavy_multiplication_x: to represent the EC multiplication operation?

3 Likes

Best I could find is this curly loop:

:curly_loop:

7 Likes

That's lovely! Although elliptic curves don't cross over themselves like that:

The curve is required to be non-singular, which means that the curve has no cusps or self-intersections.

3 Likes

Hmm…

:arrow_right_hook:

:abacus:

:parking: :wavy_dash: :2nd_place_medal: :five: :six:

I'm too old-fashioned for emoji, I guess, as I usually type :) even though forums nowadays convert it to :slight_smile: . But maybe we should petition Unicode to add more emoji for various cryptographic primitives. I'd find much more use for an SHA-256 emoji than for most of the random pictures that are there.

5 Likes

(Canadian syllabics carrier za, Unicode hexadecimal: 0x1645)

8 Likes

If it were turned 90 degrees:

Ω

Ω

It represents with meaning:

:clamp:

:clamp:

3 Likes

:high_brightness::lock:
:registered::three::white_check_mark:
:curly_loop::one::white_check_mark:
:free::free::free:

Best I could do with a few emojis.

3 Likes

All 10,000+ domains in IPv6 Things (aliases, SCPs, elements of the periodic table, etc.) have this same E1 certificate, so technically I own 99.9% of all websites (excluding the radiantlock.org testing sites) with E1 certificates as of right now :slight_smile:.

5 Likes

No more adding to the emoji-lexicon, I beg you. :slight_smile: I am an old lady and I am too old to be committing to memory which pictogram means what in which communities. That ST:TNG episode was a mistake; they should have never provided us Gen X kids with the basis for ASCII art, meme-ry, etc.

On a slightly more serious note, I think that it's a bit gate-keeper-ish to go creating new definitions for existing things. The use or misuse of jargon, slang, and in-jokes on community message boards can be dangerous.

3 Likes

I think it's all in fun here, but you are correct in that using such things in serious context would not be user-friendly to newcomers or the less informed.

5 Likes

This reminds me of the classic "lost in translation" gag from Oceans 12. It illustrates an absolutely malevolent use of inside knowledge and taking advantage of naivety. Warning: may not be suitable for all audiences.

3 Likes

Oh, I'm definitely of the opinion that encoding emoji into Unicode was a terrible idea. But it seems to be the world that we're in, and I'm slowly getting used to the idea.

And the tech world is full of jargon, and the details of certificates & PKI has a ton of it in and of itself. The glossary we have can be really intimidating, and isn't probably actually that useful to a newcomer. I certainly agree that making concepts more accessible is something we as a community need to continually be working on improving on.

5 Likes

I had to laugh! I was going to suggest using :dizzy: since it has a curve and the star would be indicative of something special. Alas, this emoji means "dizzy." :laughing:

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.