Feature-Request: SMIME / Signing for PDF

Dear Team,

i read some of the loooong discussions here for pro and against SMIME;
but at the end of the day it could be a good feature to have “signing” of eMails and (PDF-)documents…

This time it’s really expensive to get a “known” Certificate which allows to sign your PDF-Documents and so on…
The same to SMIME for signing eMails: It’s better than nothing, and better as signing with a PGP-Key which is not trusted by anyone, because the Key was not signed by another User.
( And do you like to show others who is your social network / where you let sign your key and who thinks that you’re “trustfull” - only by signing an eMail…? )

I really think there are more positive as negative Points to setup the support for Creating Certificates for eMail-Adresses… in particular for signing PDF-Documents and so on.

I think you’d have to take this to the IETF to put into the ACME spec, because that’s where this process would need to start. I don’t think it’s within the scope of Let’s Encrypt’s mission when it comes down to it, especially for PDF signing.

1 Like

This also represents a lot of engineering work, and Let’s Encrypt is already pretty busy with the existing feature roadmap.

I think the S/MIME idea is possible in principle and may have some value, but again, it’s a lot of work. I would suggest starting outside of Let’s Encrypt to try to demonstrate the demand and feasibility, e.g. at IETF as @jared.m mentions, or with some community that already extensively uses S/MIME, or with some major developers of software that supports it well.

(It’s also possible that another CA would become interested in this as a result of work in this area.)

3 Likes

Even if you got past the whole ACME method for validating an email address thing, there’s a larger problem if you’re really trying to get a certificate for PDF signing:

If by PDF signing you mean works correctly in Adobe Acrobat / Acrobat Reader, the CA involved has to be included in Adobe’s (AATL - for outside Europe) or (EUTL - for inside Europe). If memory serves, I believe I read that Adobe actually charges CAs a license fee for that.

Which makes it even less likely that Let’s Encrypt would pursue that.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.