Failed to renew certificate domain.fr-0001 with error: The manual plugin is not working; there may be problems with your existing configuration

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:

I ran this command:
docker-compose run –rm certbot renew
docker-compose restart nginx

It produced this output:
Failed to renew certificate domain.fr-0001 with error: The manual plugin is not working; there may be problems with your existing configuration.
The error was: PluginError('An authentication script must be provided with --manual-auth-hook when using the manual plugin non-interactively.')

Hi @You125, and welcome to the LE community forum :slight_smile:

When I see "-0001" it is usually an indication of something having NOT gone as planned.

Please provide more detail on the problem.
Like, by answering the questions presented when you opened the topic:

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

3 Likes

Hi,
here's a screen shot :

It looks like you have two active certificates for the same domain name.

One of these certs uses the --webroot method and that has failed because you do not have the required A and/or AAAA records in the DNS

The other cert uses the --manual method. The manual method is not supported by the automated renew command unless you also provide the pre-authorization auth-hook and (probably) a cleanup hook so it can be automated. Without these hooks the --manual method needs, well, manual intervention which of course can't be automated.

It will be difficult to help you without the specific domain name and all the output. Showing us the output of this command is good place to start:

docker-compose run -rm certbot certificates
4 Likes

Hi thank you so much for your help, this screen which I get when I run the :slight_smile:
docker-compose run -rm certbot certificates
I hided just the domain name, is it important to give the domain names ?

1 Like

It is difficult to help without knowing the domain name. Especially when one of the problems related to the DNS. Also, you have multiple cert configs on your system so it will be easier to discuss if we have a consistent way to talk about them. Often, when people hide names they make changes that also hide the real problem.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.