Error on install software-properties-common

I ran this command: install software-properties-common

It produced this output:

Setting up mysql-common (5.7.21-0ubuntu0.16.04.1) ...
update-alternatives: error: alternative path /etc/mysql/my.cnf.fallback doesn't exist
dpkg: error processing package mysql-common (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mysql-client-5.7:
mysql-client-5.7 depends on mysql-common (>= 5.5); however:
Package mysql-common is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package mysql-client-5.7 (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
Errors were encountered while processing:
mysql-common
mysql-client-5.7

My web server is (include version): ubuntu 16.04

This is not related to Let’s Encrypt.

I’am using the tool recomended in the website, how it’s not related?

via https://certbot.eff.org/lets-encrypt/ubuntuxenial-apache

If you cannot even install certbot, your problem cannot be related to letsencrypt.
MySQL is - as far as I know - not a dependency of certbot.

strange, I’m not into linux OS so is kinda confusing why I’am getting this error. Hope someone can give me a direction on solving this

Do you actually need MySQL on this server? If not, you may uninstall it.
I wonder why you get this error while installing software-properties-common, because that package does not seem to depend on MySQL, too:

https://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/software-properties-common

You are right, mysql have nothing to do with this package. I found that I get this error on other packages too, I did some research and fixed the error. Aparently the software-properties-common was successfuly installed on my first try, beside the error I was getting.

I did this:

I copied /etc/mysql/my.cnf to /etc/mysql/my.cnf.fallback (guessing that this would have been a relatively less important “fallback” config file);

I think something went wrong with the MySQL package before, and now apt tries to fix it every time it's run to do anything.

yes, that was it! the error had nothing to do with the package I was trying to install, but to ‘error’ did nothing because the package was installed anyway. In my previous reply I explain what I did so solve this unrelated problem. thanks

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.