Error on generate certificate

Hey guys, I might need some help because I am stuck with this message :
urn:acme:error:malformed - Error creating new authz :: DNS name ends in a period]+v"

My domain is:
staging.thomasmorice.com

I generate the certificate inside a docker container using this site instruction :
http://niels.nu/blog/2017/traefik-https-letsencrypt.html

It produced this output:
time=“2017-08-08T13:33:07Z” level=error msg="map[proxy.traefik.:acme: Error 400 - urn:acme:error:malformed - Error creating new authz :: DNS name ends in a period]"
time=“2017-08-08T13:33:07Z” level=error msg=“Error getting ACME certificates [proxy.traefik.] : Cannot obtain certificates map[proxy.traefik.:acme: Error 400 - urn:acme:error:malformed - Error creating new authz :: DNS name ends in a period]+v”

My web server is : A VPS from Vultr

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
A docker container running traefik and apache/php

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:
OVH.com

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):
yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
no

Thanks a lot for your help

Hi @olafviking,

There is apparently somewhere in your configuration that is trying to get a certificate for "proxy.traefik."

Looking at the tutorial that you followed, it's possible that this is an instance of the problem that the tutorial author described this way:

What also went wrong for me initially was that my docker-compose files had hosts rules like "blog.localhost", "jenkins.localhost", etc. Since Traefik doesn’t understand that these should not have certificates it failed on trying to get certs for these. So I had to change the docker-compose.yml files for a few services to remove the localhost entries, so to take my blog for example I had to change it from this:

Maybe there is a hosts rule for proxy.traefik. in those files on your end, and so it's trying to get a certificate for that name? Let's Encrypt wouldn't be able to give you a certificate for that because it's not a public Internet DNS name.

Wow what an answer, love it thanks :smiley:
Yes your right, it tries to generate a certificate for this… and it crashed which is obviously normal
Now i am wondering why it is trying to generate for this host but this is more of a traefik issue.

Thank you it is way clearer for me !

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.