Error on automatic certbot renew

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:manasotardio.ddns.net

I ran this command:cerbot renew (automatic)

It produced this output:window came up asking what I want to use to open this

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):Windows 11

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):2.80 beta

I received my certificate but when auto renew runs my computer is asking what I want to open it with instead of just running in background.
Thank you

I am not sure what it is you're trying to do. Where is certbot running?

2 Likes

c:\program files\certbot\bin\

Its a scheduled task to auto renew the certificate but it gives me that window asking what to open it with
Thank you

1 Like

Is it running on your local pc? Are you doing that on purpose?

1 Like

yes on local PC. It is supposed to renew every three months. It was all set up when I first got the certificates.

Thought it was all automatic but it doesnt seem how to run it
Thanks

1 Like

I think it doesn't want to open a command prompt to run "certbot renew"

Ok, this scheduled task is obviously broken.

Please note that certbot and Windows do not play nice together, and have a look here:

5 Likes

I determined that the task is trying to run the cmd under powershell. If I run manualy under command prompt it runs fine. Can't figure out how to switch the task to cmd propmpt instead of powershell

You're probably going to find it easiest to uninstall certbot and use one of the clients more intended for Windows integration. I think that win-acme, Certify the Web, and Posh-ACME are generally popular, though I don't personally have experience with any of them (though other people here do).

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.