Error in Nginx Proxy Manager Let's Encrypt

Hi,
I am having two issues

1. I am trying to get an ssl certificate in nginx proxy manager but unable to the follwoing is the error

Error: Command failed: certbot certonly --config "/etc/letsencrypt.ini" --cert-name "npm-4" --agree-tos --authenticator webroot --email "chiragnahata05@gmail.com" --preferred-challenges "dns,http" --domains "jellyfin.chiragnahata.ml"
Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Some challenges have failed.
Ask for help or search for solutions at https://community.letsencrypt.org. See the logfile /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log or re-run Certbot with -v for more details.

at ChildProcess.exithandler (node:child_process:399:12)
at ChildProcess.emit (node:events:526:28)
at maybeClose (node:internal/child_process:1092:16)
at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (node:internal/child_process:302:5)
  1. I have added a *.chiragnahata.ml ssl certificate and trying to authenticate all my subdomains with the same one but it is not working. Please help as soon as possible.

Hi @chiragnahata,

It sounds like some other program (like Nginx Proxy Manager) is running Certbot for you?

If so, can you run the Certbot command yourself in order to see the more specific error or failure reason? One likely reason that I can see is that Certbot would want to prompt you for your webroot path (unless some other program already hard-coded that in /etc/letsencrypt.ini, in which case the location that it hardcoded might not be correct for the "jellyfin" subdomain).

It would be helpful if you could fill in the standard forum help form, including explaining where that Certbot command line came from, where the overall error text came from, and where the node.js error message came from.

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

3 Likes

Two further thoughts:

This file may have more details about why Certbot was unable to obtain your certificate.

That certificate was issued by Google and not by Let's Encrypt:

The method for issuing / installing / renewing that certificate could be completely different from what you would do with a Let's Encrypt certificate and/or Certbot.

3 Likes

From last 24, I have the same problem. I have 3 machines Ubuntu in Oracle cloud, non of the 3 works

Your domain is using the Cloudflare CDN (domain name is proxied). You should ensure your Origin Server is seeing the HTTP Challenge request. Your Cloudflare HTTPS setup looks incomplete but that should not prevent an HTTP Challenge to work.

If you are using Cloudflare CDN you may want to look at using their Origin CA Cert (more HERE). I'm not sure how that works with NPM but it may be easier. The Origin CA Cert is used instead of a Let's Encrypt cert.

NPM is difficult to debug. You did not show enough for us to know what went wrong. We may be able to help if you upload this log file. You may need to make a copy of it as a .txt file to upload.

/var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
2 Likes

Hi @kaciker, and welcome to the LE community forum :slight_smile:

Please open a separate topic to cover your problem.
No matter how similar, your request for help here hijacks the help being provided to @chiragnahata.

3 Likes

I am using nginx proxy manager docker

jellyfin.chiragnahata.ml: There is a server found at this domain but it does not seem to be Nginx Proxy Manager. Please make sure your domain points to the IP where your NPM instance is running.

But cloudfare is already pointing to my server.

leave the second issue. Please only help with the first one asap

my domain is *.chiragnahata.ml (jellyfin.chiragnahata.ml)
I am using nginxproxymanager on docker
my web server is docker latest version
my hosting provider is oracle cloud infrasture
my operation system is ubuntu
yes i am having root access

Log file - Pihole/letsencrypt.log at main · Chirag-Nahata/Pihole · GitHub

The logfile shows that certbot is unable to locate the webroot authenticator.
How did you install certbot?

3 Likes

apt install certbot

Have you installed any other programs that might have included anything python?

2 Likes

Ya maybe

Everyone do also check the conversation on the reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/nginxproxymanager/comments/xzehts/error_in_nginx_proxy_manager_lets_encrypt/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button. From there you may get extra help to solve my issue. Please help

That's not how this Community works. Please put any relevant information in this thread without the requirement to read other sites.

3 Likes

Error while forwarding port 80 as becuase Reddit suggested me to do that

"proxy: listen tcp4 0.0.0.0:80: bind: address already in use"
That means something is already using that IP:port.

2 Likes