Err_cert_common_name_invalid

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: Plearn.gg

I ran this command: Visited the page (Only ONE person has got this error)

It produced this output: https://i.gyazo.com/thumb/1200/102aef1f043c3248e76a92204473dccf-png.jpg

My web server is (include version): Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS (GNU/Linux 5.3.0-1035-azure x86_64)

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS (GNU/Linux 5.3.0-1035-azure x86_64)

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: AWS

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): Yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): No, Using CERTBOT for SSL

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot): Certbot 1.7.0

Could you please help me debug this issue, I seem to get a fully working SSL for everyone except one person, he gets a ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID. Why is this, and what am I doing wrong?

Hi @BrutalCSkakan

see your screenshot: That person has visited the www version, not the non-www version.

Solution: Create one certificate with both domain names (non-www and www), then use that.

Thanks for a quick answer!
Unfortunately, I already have the www and non-www setup.

How do you mean? None of the certificates for plearn.gg have a www subdomain?

Then you know your setup is buggy.

Your www has the wrong certificate, so the result is expected.

CN=plearn.gg
expires in 90 days	
plearn.gg, plearn.northeurope.cloudapp.azure.com, plearn.se - 3 entries

See plearn.gg - Make your website better - DNS, redirects, mixed content, certificates - create a certificate with the www of gg and se and use that. So 5 domain names are required.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.