Don't Get Free, Get Paid SSL

Hi, how can I compare ??

I suggested a free ssl and was advise by the developer free does not provide service such as the SSL from GoDadddy since this is were the site is being hosted and to go and pay for the GoDaddy SSL … it’s better?

So, I am OK with this advise if GoDaddy has a better SSL and / or Service ??

So, how do you compare ? What is the difference between this Let’s Encrypt SSL and GoDaddy’s paid SSL ?

I am not an experienced developer so if you could provide some insight on a laymens level I would be grateful.

Thank you.

Tom

The cost, and the fact that GoDaddy supports the latter. There isn't a lick of difference in the validation of domain control, nor in the encryption that's used for your data in transit.

2 Likes

GoDaddy SSL certificates only need to be renewed on an annual basis.

Let's Encrypt SSL certificates need to be renewed at least once every 90 days.

Other than that, there's no real difference between the certificates. They do the exact same thing in the exact same way.

The point in Let's Encrypt is that your SSL certificates should be free and automatic. That means not having to purchase anything or having to do anything when your certificate is renewed - it's all taken care of for you.

Your hosting service is probably cPanel-based, right? You might not be aware, but cPanel has had built-in free and automatic SSL certificates from Comodo/Sectigo or Let's Encrypt for over 3 years now (read more here). You don't need to buy anything or click anything - all of your sites are fully covered by SSL certificates as soon as you set them up.

However, unlike most cPanel web hosts, GoDaddy have disabled these free SSL certificates on all of their cPanel services. They would rather you pay $90/yr+ for something you would otherwise be getting for free, and that you're already subsidizing with your plan fee.

So, the difference is greed.

2 Likes

Hi @tomtheriault what @danb35 and @_az is absolutely spot on. If you want to make your self happy you should learn how to use LetsEncrypt for your certificates. You will gain valuable experience and learn a lot here.

Just a thought
Rip

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.