Domain migration

Hello everybody,
I am migrating my server to a new hosting.
In the old hosting I have a SSL certificate working fine.
Everything is set up in the new hosting but the domain, when I do the domain migration I’ll consider that the server migration is done.
All the files and paths related to SSL are migrated too and seem to be in order as tomcat reaches them and so.
Obviously, when I browse to the new site I get blocked by my browser because the certificate corresponds to a domain that is not to the provisional url with ip in the new hosting.
I would like to ask:
I suppose that when the domain migration is effective it will work, as the certificate depends on literal domain… or do you think I am missing something?
It is just that I want to be sure as it will be a hot swap with users, so I would like to have the minimum downtime as possible.
Thank you very much in advance.
Jaume

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: circusofthings.com

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version): Tomcat7

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): Yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

Yes, sounds like you've done all the right things for a seamless transition.

You can always "emulate" the domain migration on your own computer by changing the IP address locally, using /etc/hosts. The browser won't complain this way.

1 Like

Hi @jaimiris

your domain

doesn't send HSTS-header. So

you should be able to view the "wrong certificate" in your browser and create an exception, so you can visit the site..

Is it your correct certificate (same installed on your old hosting)? If yes, the job is done.

Ok with the exception,
and yes, I copied&pasted the one working without problem in old server

I will explore the emulation process, I didn’t know about it

I confirm everything went ok, for if someone reads and needs to know. Thanks

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.