Same server, new domain name. Best way to migrate?

Hi,

I have an existing domain that I’m using with Let’s Encrypt to generate my SSL certificate and it’s working fine.

Shortly, I’ll be changing my existing domain name to a new domain name, but retaining the server at the same IPv4 address.

What would be the best way to migrate between these domain names and keep my SSL certificate renewing correctly?

Thanks!

Hi @iliketowatch

create a new vHost.

Then create a new certificate with the same command / tool you've already used.

Then use that.

But I don't know the details of your setup.

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

3 Likes

Hi Juergen,

Thanks for your reply.

I’m not running Apache. I’m using certbot 0.26.1 on Ubuntu LTS 16.04 with root access.

Could you provide any further advice?

There is no problem. Create a new certificate and use it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.