Deleted my cert by mistake, now can't create another one

My domain is: fozzieb.duckdns.org

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Synology NAS (DSM 7.2.1-69057 Update 4)

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): I don't know. Never tried.

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): Synology DSM 7.2.1-69057 Update 4.

I'm not sure how to proceed. Can it be deleted on your side so I can create a new one? Or can a link to the cert be provided?

Thank you in advance!

No.

All issued certificates can be downloaded from Certificate Transparency logs aggregators like https://crt.sh/. But that won't help you if you don't have the private key any longer.

Anyway, why can't you generate a new one?

4 Likes

Hi Osiris,

When I try to create a new one it get a message saying "maximal certificate requests reached for this domain name".

Just ran a search in that crt.sh site...looks like I have a LOT of entries there for some reason, but no idea why

wtf lolol

Well, because your system requested them :slight_smile:

Seriously though, you will often see two entries for just one cert as there is a Precert and the final Leaf. I see 5 unique issued certs today which is the limit Let's Encrypt allows per week for "identical" certs. See Rate Limits for details

This may be the problem you have about not being able to issue another one. LE returns a specific error message in this case but Synology often translates that into one of its own. Synology itself sometimes gets "stuck" or blocks repeated requests and gives the same error message which makes this hard to debug.

The Synology forum is probably the better place to get assistance. It will come down to getting it back to a stable state and possibly waiting a week until you are past the LE rate limit block. There is a work-around at the Rate Limit page but I am not sure how viable that is for Synology DSM

4 Likes

HAHA love that! Well it looks like I have a lot to learn (don't we all).

Thanks for the informative and thorough response Mike. It's much appreciated!

I'll reach out to the Synology FB group I'm on & see what they have to say about it.

3 Likes

Thank you for the link to crt.sh! That helped me figure out my Synology is going request-crazy!

I appreciate it!

3 Likes