Deleted IP address

Hi,

My website spherebee.com was previously hosted on google compute engine and I’ve setup the Let’s Encrypt certificate there. I decided not to use the hosting service and deleted everything from the server. I signed up a new hosting plan with another company. I ran into problem with the Let’s Encrypt certificate because it is still looking at the IP address of Google Compute Engine.

Error message encountered with the new hosting company:
“DNS DCV: The DNS query to “_cpanel-dcv-test-record.spherebee.com” for the DCV challenge returned no “TXT” record that matches the value “_cpanel-dcv-test-record=7KkgKjKQJ9ZkTNImcSM8QWTH2jLR0I7nKyKl5MfYEmcSiBYe0GczosBF4MW9iP5M”.; HTTP DCV: The system failed to fetch the DCV (Domain Control Validation) file at “http://spherebee.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/X7308PT26G52QX3KXXOV553KS6SRWVEO” because of an error: The system failed to send an HTTP (Hypertext Transfer Protocol) “GET” request to “http://spherebee.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/X7308PT26G52QX3KXXOV553KS6SRWVEO” because of an error: Could not connect to ‘spherebee.com:80’: Connection timed out. The domain “spherebee.com” resolved to an IP address “35.247.190.242” that does not exist on this server.”

I think I must have messed up the Let’s Encrypt certificate. How to delete all the previous certificates that I have deleted.

Thanks for your help.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, that error is coming from cPanel, not from Let’s Encrypt.

You seem to have a non-Google IP address now:

spherebee.com.  14399  A  85.187.128.19

I’m just guessing, but maybe the DNS resolver in use has your old IP address cached. Or your authoritative DNS service hadn’t fully updated yet. Maybe it will start working soon.

2 Likes

letsencrypt talk directly to authoritative DNS servers and only reuses DNS record up to 60s(even if TTL is higher), so it’s unlikely to have old record cached.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply.

The part pointing to google IP address is no longer there but the rest of the error message remain:
DNS DCV: The DNS query to “_cpanel-dcv-test-record.spherebee.com” for the DCV challenge returned no “TXT” record that matches the value “_cpanel-dcv-test-record=vjrApI5edWQc6LEGtKDnJqCdED1jNUJ_f6SEsbS9YkHreFqCeo94u8eCSDquClD0”.; HTTP DCV: The system failed to fetch the DCV (Domain Control Validation) …

Will it resolve by itself?

Thanks.

1 Like

That error does not seem to be directly a letsencrypt related problem. It is rather something to do with cpanel <-> DNS update authorization / ownership verification.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.