Crontab generated is likely invalid

My domain is: bazarmama.xyz

I ran this command: N/A

It produced this output: N/A

My web server is (include version): OpenLiteSpeed 1.7.16

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Debian 4.19.249-2

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: Linode

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): Yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): No

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): 1.31.0

I noticed that my auto-renewal script didn't run. To troubleshoot, I modified it to run every minute, and it still didn't run. I researched a bit, and it seems that /etc/cron.d/ files must end in newline, which /etc/cron.d/certbot did not.

So I added the newline, and it was executed as expected by cron.

My question is: should the generated cron have a newline? Manually fixing it doesn't help, because I suspect (looking at the output of a manual renewal) certbot regenerates and overwrites the existing file each time it successfully renews.

Thanks for any and all help, and I apologize if this has been addressed before (couldn't find any similar issues).

1 Like

Hi @ahyusuf, and welcome to the LE community forum :slight_smile:

Are there any other lines in there?

@certbot-devs, is this confirmed with v1.31.0?

2 Likes

How did you install Certbot? Using snap or Debian package?

2 Likes
  1. https://salsa.debian.org/letsencrypt-team/certbot/certbot/-/raw/master/debian/certbot.cron.d ends in a newline
  2. The snap doesn't install a cron task, it uses a systemd timer
  3. The manual instructions use /etc/crontab and so does the instruction generator.

so I am not sure where this cron file would have come from!

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.