Auto-renewal debugging, any official guide?

I can’t believe I still have problems configuring crontab after using VPS for 10+ years, but here is my current problem:

In /var/log/syslog

Dec 14 04:00:01 s2 CRON[25877]: (root) CMD (/home/myuser/cert/certbot-auto renew --post-hook "service nginx reload" > /dev/null)
Dec 14 04:00:03 s2 CRON[25876]: (CRON) info (No MTA installed, discarding output)

And no log for this cron job in /var/log/letsencrypt/ folder.

My certificate isn’t updated automatically. I have to do manual update (does work).

A few troubleshooting:

• My cron service is running.
  • Manually running command works (using my username account with sudo right).
  • Manual run doesn’t produce error and does log in /var/log/letsencrypt/.
  • I am using crontab -u root -e to setup my cron jobs.
  • certbot --version is 0.9.3.
  • my root account doesn’t have a password, ie. sudo passwd -dl root.

So, should I somehow run cron job using my own account or should I configure root cron job differently to troubleshoot my problem?

Why don’t you try doing it my way.

Create a bash script in /bin called /bin/certbotrenew.sh as follows

#!/bin/bash
cd /opt/certbot
sudo ./certbot-auto renew >> /var/log/certbot-renew.log
sudo service nginx reload
mail -s "CERTBOT Renewals" youremail@wherever.com < /var/log/certbot-renew.log
exit 0

make the script executable

sudo chmod +x /bin/certbotrenew.sh

Then go

sudo crontab -e

and add this line

00 20 * * 1 /bin/certbotrenew.sh

This mails you the log file every Monday when it runs so you can quickly spot any errors in the log file, renewals processed etc.

Works 100% for me never missed a single renewal yet.

Since there is an error of;

There is no Mail Transport Agent installed on the server ( or at least none that the system can find) - hence the bash script with "mail' in it is equally as likely to fail.

You could either install an MTA ( so you get emailed the output) or you can pipe the info into a log ( either on the cron line, or as in the bash that MitchellK suggested).

My guess is that there is a PATH difference between your cron and when running the command on the prompt, hence your cron isn't working correctly.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.