Could not choose appropriate plugin: The apache plugin is not working

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:

I ran this command:./certbot-auto --apache

It produced this output:Could not choose appropriate plugin: The apache plugin is not working; there may be problems with your existing configuration. The error was: NoInstallationError(‘Cannot find Apache executable apachectl’,)

My web server is (include version):Apache/2.2.34

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):CENTOS 6.10

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

As above by following instructions at https://certbot.eff.org/lets-encrypt/centos6-apache my VPS is running cpanel and WHM if that matters. Search and couldn;t find any solutions. Anyone?

Hi @GMM

if you use cPanel, then you should check the integrated solution.

cPanel has it's own handling with automation (renew), so it isn't a good idea to mix these two different solutions.

Host got back to me with - Your server is using 32 bit architecture, which did not supports lets encrypt key. We can help you to upgrade the OS of server.

Is this true?

I don't know. I am using 64-bit ... I think, since 2008.

So it's a good idea to upgrade.

I suppose they are talking about the use of Autossl plugin introduced in CPanel v58, if that is the case then they are right.

AutoSSL was introduced as a new feature in v58, but if you’re still running CentOS 5 or CentOS 6 32-bit, you won’t be able to take advantage.

More info here cPanel & WHM’s AutoSSL | cPanel Blog

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.