Copying server and changing from Apache to Nginx

Hi

I have a scenario that i have vps box set up(lets call it VPS1) with apache and certbot. Recently i configured another vps (VPS2) with nginx and certbot. Since second vps setup is better and also newer os (ubuntu 16.04), i would like to install clean ubuntu 16.04 also to the VPS1 and then rsync from VPS2. How do i restore ssl certificates and certbot?

in this scenario you are much better to do a clean install on VPS1 of certbot and reconfigure it

Copying certificates between two servers adds lots of complexities, so for a 2 VPS server set up i would keep things simple and just get each one to issue and manage the certificates they need

Andrei

Ok. Thanks.
So it is better to exclude certbot and certificate folders if i do rsync? Also there is no problem getting new certificates again for my domain?

yes i would say so

there are rate limits but as long as you are not doing anything to silly you should be ok

We also have a Duplicate Certificate limit of 5 certificates per week. A certificate is considered a duplicate of an earlier certificate if they contain the exact same set of hostnames, ignoring capitalization and ordering of hostnames. For instance, if you requested a certificate for the names [www.example.com, example.com], you could request four more certificates for [www.example.com, example.com] during the week. If you changed the set of names by adding [blog.example.com], you would be able to request additional certificates.

Andrei

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.