Certbot certificate limit rate

Hi, i have an ubuntu server installed as shared hosting. My server software is apache2 v2.29. i had a problem with my server and i was believed that the problem was the certbot.
When i was installed the generated certifications after much time when i am trying to access my web page i had this problem: error the time has reached. I have generated too many certificates for one domain because every time that i had this problem i was deleted the certificate files. My problem fixed and it wasn’t with the certbot. I am trying to generate a new certificate for this domain and i have this error: you have reached the rate of certificates for this domain. What can i do for that?

2 Likes

Hi @Chrispet

please read the link shared in the error message.

2 Likes

Because unfortunately i’m newbie and i don’t understand the options that i have. Please could you explain me what must i do?

1 Like

Why do you delete files if you are a newbie? Did you create a backup?

Deleting files -> you are not a newbie.

Deleting files without knowing the effects is always wrong.

1 Like

Hi @Chrispet,

Thanks for signing up for the community forum and posting your problem over here.

Can you show me exactly how you ran certbot and got it to produce the error? Our rate limit policy states

A certificate is considered a renewal (or a duplicate) of an earlier certificate if it contains the exact same set of hostnames, ignoring capitalization and ordering of hostnames. For instance, if you requested a certificate for the names [www.example.com, example.com], you could request four more certificates for [www.example.com, example.com] during the week. If you changed the set of hostnames by adding [blog.example.com], you would be able to request additional certificates.

Can you give that a shot and let us know how it works out?

1 Like

Okay I’m sorry. I shure that. Because I newbie i have read many tutorials about the basic Linux commands. So i read from there that i can delete some files with command sudo rm -rf. If i wait one week will i can regenerate the certificate for this domain?

1 Like

That is an option. Another easier and faster option would be to follow these instructions from the rate limit policy.

A certificate is considered a renewal (or a duplicate) of an earlier certificate if it contains the exact same set of hostnames, ignoring capitalization and ordering of hostnames. For instance, if you requested a certificate for the names [www.example.com, example.com], you could request four more certificates for [www.example.com, example.com] during the week. If you changed the set of hostnames by adding [blog.example.com], you would be able to request additional certificates.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.