Cname For Auto SSL

Hello,
I created a cname (example.mywebsite.com) and pointed to test.mydomain.com. I need to add ssl to that cname.

FYI

test.domain.com subdomain added in cpanel and also Auto SSL Activated.
Is it possible to use auto ssl and lets encrypt give the SSL for cname Domain(example.mywebsite.com).

Please suggest me.
Thanks

1 Like

Hi @touchkarthick, and welcome to the LE community forum :slight_smile:

CNAME is only a DNS entry.
It helps the client find the IP of the name they are looking for.
That said, once found the IP will have to have a cert for the name they seek.
So, cPanel will have to respond to HTTPS://example.mywebsite.com securely.
That means the cert will have to contain that new FQDN.

3 Likes

Can you please explore more.I couldn't understand
For Example

I created a cname (example.mywebsite.com) in different server and pointed to ffffff.xyz.com
ffffff.xyz.com subdomain added in cpanel and also auto ssl and lets encrypt Activated.It's running in https://
Is it possible to use auto ssl and lets encrypt give the SSL for cname Domain(example.mywebsite.com).

please suggest me to move forward
Thanks

1 Like

You need to add the name "example.mywebsite.com" to your site within cPanel.

3 Likes

Using our platform my clients will do cname mapping to our sub domain which is created in our platform.
My clients will do cname mapping and i would like to provide auto SSL for the mapped domain or sub domain for my clients.
How to achieve it. Please help

CNAME allows the DNS resolution of their name to the IP of your system.
DNS = :heavy_check_mark:

The web server [controlled by cPanel] must answer for that additional name.
For HTTP - if HTTP will be used to redirect to HTTPS or used for HTTP-01 authenticate [getting a certificate]
SNI allows a web server with a single IP to host many names.
cPanel must now start hosting that newly added site name.
HOSTING = pending

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply.Where i can add that name in my cpanel.

Using my platform, my clients will create campaigns and the campaign url will run in the subdomain of mydomain. for example xyz.mydomain.io

My clients will do cname mapping of their domain or sub-domain with xyz.mydomain.io and i would like to provide auto SSL for the mapped domain or sub domain for my clients.

Since it is my clients domain or sub-domain, it is not mandatory it should be in the same server where mydomain is hosted.

We have SSL for mydomain.io and as well as sub-domains of mydomain.io. - This is working fine with auto SSL using (Let's encrypt)

How to achieve my requirement - I would like to provide auto SSL for the mapped domain for my clients. - myclientdomain.io - which does not have SSL

I don't use cPanel.
Maybe you can ask on their support channels.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.