Challenges failed: check that a dns record exists

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:N8AAY.US

I ran this command:sudo certbot certonly --agree-tos --email eric@N8AAY.NET --webroot -w /var/lib/letsencrypt/ -d files.N8AAY.US.io

It produced this output:Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Plugins selected: Authenticator webroot, Installer None
Requesting a certificate for files.n8aay.us.io
Performing the following challenges:
http-01 challenge for files.n8aay.us.io
Using the webroot path /var/lib/letsencrypt for all unmatched domains.
Waiting for verification...
Challenge failed for domain files.n8aay.us.io
http-01 challenge for files.n8aay.us.io
Cleaning up challenges
Some challenges have failed.

IMPORTANT NOTES:

My web server is (include version):Server version: Apache/2.4.52 (Debian)
Server built: 2022-01-03T21:27:14

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):Linux Debian 5.10.0-10-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.84-1 (2021-12-08) x86_64 GNU/Linux

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: Dotster

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): Yes, I can on my home Debian machine.

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):?

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):certbot --version
certbot 1.12.0

Hi @ericg75 and welcome to the LE community forum :slight_smile:

This is a very specific and non-standard webroot:

Please show the HTTP vhost config that covers the name files.N8AAY.US.io

And, also, the outputs of:
curl -6 ifconfig.co
curl -4 ifconfig.co

Also, why does the domain go from .US to then .US.io ?

1 Like

Hi Rudy- I really do not know the answers to your questions below.

My goal is to build, on my own Debian11 platform here in my own home a NEXTCLOUD server and have it secured (encrypted). To do this I am following a “how-to” on howtoforge. In that howtoforge tutorial it says to “ensure your domain name is resolved to the server IP”. That is where I started to have problems with the tutorial process. I am hoping to hear back from that author, but cannot hold my breath.

Some of the other NEXTCLOUD installation documentation that I have reviewed has your installing it all on a VPS on a cloud somewhere- I am trying to install it on my own in my own home. Will see.

I appreciate your input, but as I said, I do not know anything about webroots, US.IO, or Let’Encrypt- but I am looking forward to learning.

Regards,

Eric G.

Oh, I see that “.io” is in the command:

sudo certbot certonly --agree-tos --email user@email.com --webroot -w /var/lib/letsencrypt/ -d files.domain-name.io

Don’t know what that means, but it is coming from the certbot command itself.

/EricG.

That is a real domain and it resolved via DNS to:

Name:    N8AAY.US
Address: 66.96.161.165

That is also a real domain and it resolves to:

Name:    files.N8AAY.US.io
Address: 193.223.78.230

Two different domains.
And two different IPs.

Which IP are you working on?

2 Likes

That is wild. I am attempting to use the straight .US URL- I have no idea where the one ending with .IO is coming from.

In your first, opening post you wrote:

The domain name is the last argument, it is coming from there.

3 Likes

Closed- resolved. I am looking for another route to take. /E

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.