Challenge keeps failing

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:
example.com
I ran this command:
certbot certonly --non-interactive --rsa-key-size 2048 --text --keep-until-expiring --agree-tos --allow-subset-of-names --cert-name examplecert3 --email fakeuser@gmail.com --webroot -w / -d example.com 2>&1

It produced this output:
Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Plugins selected: Authenticator webroot, Installer None
Obtaining a new certificate
Performing the following challenges:
http-01 challenge for example.com
Using the webroot path / for all unmatched domains.
Waiting for verification...
Challenge failed for domain example.com
Cleaning up challenges
Challenges failed for all domains
Done...
My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
Debian 9
My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):
yes
I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): 0.28.0

Somewhere around here should also be an error message. Without an error message, there's nothing we can help you with.

Also, I'm pretty sure the root of your file system (/) isn't the webroot of your website?

There is no other message. This is all the output that was generated.
I dont actually have a website. I run a Nextcloud server. What is the purpose of requesting this root folder? Maybe I can find the right directory you need here.

I changed the folder to my webroot folder.
Which part of the Letsencrypt would be helpful in analysing the error. The log is 16k long.

I'm pretty sure there's more than just that.

Nextcloud behaves like a website, right? It's hosted on a webserver et cetera.

If you don't know what an option actually does, why do you use it? I would recommend looking it up in the certbot documentation.

That's hard to say. Best is to upload it all. There are no sensitive parts in the log like private keys.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.