Certificate on port 9000 (for websockets)

Hello,

I create this post to know if it was possible that I certify a domain name with a port (for a use in wss)

In fact, my domain name works on port 443 with a reverse proxy. The thing is that it is the application that works on this port. The websockets are sent on port 9000 but for them to work in https they must be certified on port 9000.

(I try not to send the url because the application on it is intended to be published later so if you ask for information, the url will be replaced by example.com (unless it is really necessary to indicate it))

Additional information:
I use Nginx
Certbot version : 0.31.0

I thank you in advance for your answers and I remain at your disposal for any information request

1 Like

The certificate doesn't care what port you use it on.

It only cares about the hostname.

If you're using the same hostname, you can use the same certificate on both ports.

5 Likes

Hi @Cocam123, and welcome to the LE community forum :slight_smile:

Are you going to reverse proxy port 9000 through nginx?
If so, then, it already has access to the cert and can use it for port 9000.
If not, then, does the other app reside on the same server?
If so, then, it can directly access the cert (on the same system).
If not, then, you may need to "share" the cert from nginx to the other app/system.

3 Likes

I tried to make a reverse proxy but if the application and the websockets are on the same port and the same domain name (443) it could be a problem, no?

(because in fact, I also want to switch from ws to wss otherwise my application won't work)

Otherwise everything is on the same server (there will be other servers for my application later)

Trying to use the same port for multiple (unrelated) things can be problematic.
But since there are 65K ports to choose from...

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.