Certificate needs to be changed from Self Signed

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:
hillcrestcsipads.org
I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):
Filewave application
The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
MacOS
My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):
I dont know
I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

1 Like

Hi @dwheelock and welcome to the LE community forum :slight_smile:

"Certificate needs to be changed from Self Signed"
Then you've come to the right place!

Then you've come to the wrong place!
LOL

I can't even point you to a MacOS guide on how to properly install an ACME client and set it up to renew certs. Perhpaps one exists.. But not being an Apple consumer, I can't really help you more than to say:

• You will need a working HTTP site before you can secure it (via HTTP authentication)
    [no IP was found for that domain nor for the "www" of it]

• You might benefit from using "--webroot" authentication
    [instead of --apache or --nginx plugins]
    (since Mac puts services in "non-standard" places)

3 Likes

I have to say that I am a bit confused about this inquiry.

Is this domain registered somewhere? I can't seem to find any records verifying the domain even exists.
hillcrestcsipads.org

I might hazard a guess that you might be running the site on your internal network? Yes?
Haven't registered the domain name yet?

I'm not trying to rub "sandpaper into a sunburn" here but if there's no domain on a publicly accessible IP address then there isn't much we can help with... at least until you are ready to publish your website on the world wide web. (almost said internet!)

https://certbot.eff.org/docs/

3 Likes

I am confused also so that doesn't help. I am trying to change a self signed cert that my server uses to connect to my school iPads to a signed cert. I can no longer have a self-signed cert to connect to apple.school.manager. I believe my domain name is only an A record on hillcrestcs.org.

1 Like

That hostname does not exist? Could you perhaps explain more about what exactly you need a cert for?

2 Likes

What is the URL they connect to now?

3 Likes

Internal only and it is the hillcrestcsipads.org.

2 Likes

If they connect to campus WiFi, then you likely can control their DNS.
With that control you can resolve any name to any IP.
So, all you need is to register a real domain and use an ACME client that supports a DNS API that can manage your DNS zone.
With that you can obtain a certificate for any name from that domain [including a wildcard cert].

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.