Certificate does not match, acme-challenge cannot be accessed

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: lawandotherthings.com

I ran this command: $ ./getssl $domain

It produced this output: www.lawandotherthings.com: Certificate on remote domain does not match, ignoring remote certificate
Registering account
Verify each domain
Verifying www.lawandotherthings.com
copying challenge token to /home/lawand12/.well-known/acme-challenge/40sAMCpyg0F5PAxyAZbn3j-jk3YWZnhyv3xaLT4Gm9I
getssl: for some reason could not reach http://www.lawandotherthings.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/40sAMCpyg0F5PAxyAZbn3j-jk3YWZnhyv3xaLT4Gm9I - please check it manually

My web server is (include version): Apache Version 2.4.29

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): GNU bash, version 4.2.46(1)-release (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu)

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: InMotionHosting

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): I don’t know

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): cPanel Version 68.0 (build 33) | FileZilla 3.31.0

For some reason, getssl believes that this is your webroot directory - that is, the directory from which you serve web content for www.lawandotherthings.com. Since that’s probably not the case (home directories are not normally webroot directories), you’d probably want to verify what the actual webroot is, and pass that along to getssl. I’m not certain on the syntax for this, as I’m not familiar with that client myself.

Is webroot directory the folder which contains public_html? if so, it is correct (this is a shared hosting)

Usually if there’s a directory named public_html, that is the webroot directory - not the folder that contains it.

ie: /home/lawand12/public_html

Oh, ok thanks will revert after making changes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.