Certbot team is looking for your help!

Update 6/19/19:

We’re still looking for help keeping this list up to date! The list is now viewable on this page: https://certbot.eff.org/hosting_providers/

To help keep it up to date, please make a pull request on this file on Github:

We’d particularly appreciate checking in on items with an empty “reviewed” field.

Thanks all!

Hello! The Certbot team is redesigning the Certbot website to make it more usable to beginners getting started with HTTPS, and we could use your help.

We’re looking for some volunteers to help prepare information about shared hosting providers by this Thursday 6/6, so that we can help more people who come to the Certbot site looking for information about getting a certificate for their websites.

How can I help?

If you have a spare minute, we’d love your help checking and finding information in this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Li4pMTrTcTOVMMhkfP1D3UHy4yrodxvempICdfboFC4/edit?usp=sharing

To contribute, you may want to check out the great list here [Web Hosting who support Let's Encrypt], which we’re formatting into a more usable chart for beginners who aren’t sure about if their shared hosting provider offers HTTPS. We’re splitting it up into three bucket categories of “Full HTTPS Support,” “Partial HTTPS Support,” and “No HTTPS Support.” The definitions for how we are using these are below, as well as shown at the top of the spreadsheet’s Master Chart tab.

For all sites, check that the link to the site is still relevant, and point to the appropriate website in the Link column.

For sites marked “Partial HTTPS support”, add a link to a tutorial for turning on HTTPS with that hosting provider in the “Relevant Link” column.

Then, add today’s date (e.g. 2019.6.1 as year.month.date) in the “Last Reviewed by Us” column.
If necessary, add a relevant note (e.g. language constraints, if it applies to only some systems).

Full HTTPS Support: Hosting providers that offer free Let’s Encrypt HTTPS certificates automatically for their shared hosting product (no need to do anything on your end if you use their service)
Partial HTTPS Support: Hosting providers that offer free Let’s Encrypt HTTPS certificates for their shared hosting product, but require configuration (you’ll need to follow a tutorial)
No HTTPS Support: Hosting providers that do not offer free HTTPS certificates for their shared hosting product. It may or may not be possible to use Certbot with other products that the provider offers, such as their VPS product.

Every row you get a chance to contribute brings this resource closer to being launched, and we thank you very much for any time you have to contribute.

5 Likes

The previous list included many hosts who included free HTTPS, but not using Let’s Encrypt.

As of today, there are 32M trusted certificates issued by cPanel Inc. (a Sectigo operated issuer). These are all certificates for shared hosting users.This is the default issuer in cPanel installations, and cPanel is by far the most popular shared hosting platform.

So, my question is whether the website is going to include all shared hosts who provide free trusted HTTPS (regardless of issuer) or whether it is going to be limited to those using Let’s Encrypt.

At least, we should clarify the wording to avoid inadvertently attributing credit to Let’s Encrypt where it’s not involved.

2 Likes

I might need to recheck every host and make sure they fit in the category… The last time I gone though this list completely is… 6/7 months ago.

1 Like

So, my question is whether the website is going to include all shared hosts who provide free trusted HTTPS (regardless of issuer) or whether it is going to be limited to those using Let’s Encrypt.

At least, we should clarify the wording to avoid inadvertently attributing credit to Let’s Encrypt where it’s not involved.

This is a fantastic point! I think the most helpful thing for users is to provide information about as many hosting providers as possible, and also to make it clear in the language that not all of the certs are provided by Let's Encrypt.

The reasoning is that for visitors who just want a cert, we should give them the information they need to figure out if/how they can get a cert.

2 Likes

Checking in on hosts again sounds great! Do you have a sense of what the rate of change is? As in, how many providers are changing their status per unit time? It's helpful to know that to know how often we should check in on the list.

Updated the info above – we’re looking to get this done by Thursday, so we could really use any help from people who are available!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.