Certbot + Nginx without domain

Hi.
Like month ago i set SSL for server on Ubuntu + Nginx.
I do that without select a domain, it works on IP.
But now wen i run certbot it always ask me for domain name.
I forget how i set that before.
Can someone help me with that? I want SSL on 'inside' my server/nginx app. And i want to connect to that server by IP.

Hello @fornakter, welcome to the Let's Encrypt community. :slightly_smiling_face:

OK; how?

Let’s Encrypt offers Domain Validation (DV) certificates.

Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

Thus you need to own and have control over the Domain Name (or have a subdomain under an existing domain name, for example pointed to your server by your employer or school) you wish to obtain a certificate for, from an ICANN Accredited Registrar.

For Let’s Encrypt to issue a Domain Validation (DV) certificate Domain Validation must happen
and it is a CA/Browser Forum Baseline Requirement.

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

Thank you for assisting us in helping YOU!

2 Likes

Good question, i don't remember :frowning:
It works on IP, and i just add DNS like No-IP and it works

On OpenSSL works, but still i have a 'warning window' when i open page.

Please show the output of:
certbot certificates

3 Likes

Theres no certificates... yet

Then this is untrue:

At least, not a certificate issued from LE and obtained via certbot.

4 Likes

I thing that first working SSL it was on apache2, now im on Gunicorn.
Theres a possibility on Apache2 like SSL on IP?

Web browsers need servers to serve Certificates that the will Web browser trust.
If you make a self signed certificate and add it to the Web browser's anchors of trust then you would not have the 'warning window'; you can read here Certificates for localhost - Let's Encrypt about doing that.

2 Likes

Neither of those have much to do with this forum.

To answer your question / need :
LE doesn't provide certificates for IPs [some other CAs might]

Additionally, using a self-signed cert produces the insecure warning in the browser.
You could choose to trust that self-signed cert...
That is up to you and your needs.

3 Likes

Yes; but why use Certbot in that scenario?

1 Like

Ok then, i just stay on simple HTTP
Thanks for help

2 Likes

Why can't you use a name?
[there are many places to get free dynamic domain names - if you don't own a domain]
Why must you connect via IP only?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.