SSL on a IP instead of domain

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: I do not have a domain. I am using an IP Address to access my application website. Do I need a domain for an SSL? Or is the IP sufficient?

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version): Apache

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Ubuntu 16.04

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): Yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): No

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot): Not yet procured.

3 Likes

Hi @anyaitsystems, welcome to the community forum :slight_smile:

Unfortunately Let's Encrypt doesn't issue certificates for bare IP addresses, only domain names. You'll need to register a domain name in order to get a Let's Encrypt certificate.

I think there are some "Dynamic DNS" providers that may allow you to get a subdomain of a registered domain name for your IP address without paying but I can't make any recommendations personally. Also beware if you go down this route because sometimes these providers run into rate limit problems with Let's Encrypt if they aren't registered with the public suffix list.

Hope that helps!

3 Likes

If it is just you and no one else (or the experience of anyone else [accidently] accessing your site does not matter), you can just use a self-signed SSL certificate for your IP, which you can create in one click at ZeroSSL for example with Self-Signed Certificate Generator.

Otherwise, as @cpu has already mentioned, you will need a domain name. You could try obtainning some free one (from Freenom or something similar), but I would recommend just getting some name with a reasonably priced extension. Just don't be fooled by the "cheap" registrations which have rather expensive renewals, so study the actual non-action prices of renewals before you commit to buying a domain name.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.