Certbot-dns-linode missing from repository?

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: proph-it.com

I ran this command: sudo apt install certbot-dns-linode

It produced this output: E: Unable to locate package certbot-dns-linode

My web server is (include version): nginx 1.14.0

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Ubuntu 18.04

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: Linode

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): No

I added the repository per the instructions with sudo add-apt-repository ppa:certbot/certbot and
sudo apt-get update. I was able to install the main certbot program and get regular certificates with no problem. I was following the instructions to get a wildcard certificate for one of my domains, but the dns plugin for linode isn’t found in the repository. Is Linode no longer supported?

I think you’re correct.

If I look in the PPA, I can only find python-certbot-dns-cloudflare, python-certbot-dns-digitalocean, python-certbot-dns-dnsimple, python-certbot-dns-rfc2136 and python-certbot-dns-route53.

What perhaps is also interesting, not related to this specific question, is the version difference between the dependencies. python-certbot is at version 0.26.1 (except for Ubuntu 17.10.1, which is at version 0.25.0), python-certbot-apache is at version 0.25.0 and the DNS plugins listed above are at version 0.23.0.

In my experience, certbot won’t run if one of the dependencies has a different version number. But I’m not using Ubuntu, so I don’t know if this is actually problematic in practice.

closed #3

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Python modules, and apt packages for Python modules, follow different naming schemes.

https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=certbot-dns-linode

It has been available since Ubuntu Cosmic under the name python3-certbot-dns-linode.

It’s not currently available in the PPA.

This presents a quandary – Cosmic’s version of Certbot is already kind of old. (In particular, for the Apache and Nginx plugins, it supports HTTP-01 but uses TLS-SNI-01 when available.) Choosing between the Linode plugin and a newer version isn’t fun.

They maintain compatible versions – or try to.

opened #5

Hi, does anyone know the timescale for the linode dns plugin being added to the PPA?

It’s a bit confusing because the certbot docs suggest that it should already be available but as stated above, the plugin does not appear to be in the PPA

Perhaps the docs are a little premature?

Just wanting to add my two cents here: I don’t know why Linode-dns is missing from the repository, but after over a year since initially reporting the problem, it’s not resolved, and not likely to be. Ideally documentation could be updated to suggest how to use this thing.