Certbot apache - mod_ssl package required error

I cannot get the certbot package to install. I have tried using the the snap option that did not work.
Using the certbot python2-certbot-apache gives me the missing mod_ssl error and will not install.

My domain is: http://realtruth.net

I ran this command: yum install certbot python2-certbot-apache

It produced this output:
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, universal-hooks
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile

• EA4: 185.125.185.32
  • cpanel-plugins: 185.125.185.32
  • base: mirror.genesishosting.com
  • epel: d2lzkl7pfhq30w.cloudfront.net
  • extras: mirrors.gigenet.com
  • updates: mirror.sesp.northwestern.edu
    No package mod_ssl available.
    Resolving Dependencies
    --> Running transaction check
    ---> Package certbot.noarch 0:1.11.0-1.el7 will be installed
    ---> Package python2-certbot-apache.noarch 0:1.11.0-1.el7 will be installed
    --> Processing Dependency: mod_ssl for package: python2-certbot-apache-1.11.0-1.el7.noarch
    --> Processing Dependency: python-augeas for package: python2-certbot-apache-1.11.0-1.el7.noarch
    ---> Package python-augeas.noarch 0:0.5.0-2.el7 will be installed
    --> Processing Dependency: augeas-libs for package: python-augeas-0.5.0-2.el7.noarch
    --> Processing Dependency: mod_ssl for package: python2-certbot-apache-1.11.0-1.el7.noarch
    ---> Package augeas-libs.x86_64 0:1.4.0-10.el7 will be installed
    --> Finished Dependency Resolution
    Error: Package: python2-certbot-apache-1.11.0-1.el7.noarch (epel)
    Requires: mod_ssl
    You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
    You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
    [root@server ~]# yum install certbot python2-certbot-apache
    Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, universal-hooks
    Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
  • EA4: 185.125.185.32
  • cpanel-plugins: 185.125.185.32
  • base: mirror.genesishosting.com
  • epel: d2lzkl7pfhq30w.cloudfront.net
  • extras: mirrors.gigenet.com
  • updates: mirror.sesp.northwestern.edu
    Resolving Dependencies
    ---> Package certbot.noarch 0:1.11.0-1.el7 will be installed
    --> Processing Dependency: python-augeas for package: python2-certbot-apache-1.11.0-1.el7.noarch
    ---> Package python-augeas.noarch 0:0.5.0-2.el7 will be installed
    --> Processing Dependency: augeas-libs for package: python-augeas-0.5.0-2.el7.noarch
    ---> Package augeas-libs.x86_64 0:1.4.0-10.el7 will be installed
    --> Finished Dependency Resolution
    Error: Package: python2-certbot-apache-1.11.0-1.el7.noarch (epel)
    Requires: mod_ssl
    You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
    You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

My web server is (include version): CentOS 7 x86_64

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):CentOS Linux 7.9.2009

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: a2

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
Webmin

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): none cannot get it to install

Certbot isn't really a suitable tool for cPanel servers due to the special way that cPanel configures its webserver and manages SSL certificates.

Instead, look into cPanel AutoSSL. It will automatically protect every customer domain with a trusted SSL certificate:

I am not using cpanel, I have an unsupported server. It is suppose to be clean. However I do see cpanel holders, maybe I will just unistall cpanel. Thoughts?

You can't uninstall cPanel. It gets its hooks pretty deep into the packaging system and it's very difficult to get back to a regular CentOS system.

mod_ssl being masked, like in your error above, is one of the side effects of the way cPanel manages the system.

If you're not using cPanel I recommend wiping the server and starting from scratch.

I'd be interested to hear what trouble you encountered here. I think it should probably work on a cPanel system.

I do have the specifics on snap, but it was the same type of error, some component was missing which I could not find. I have been suspecting the cpanel. I will get with a2 and see what they can do to resolve this as the severer is suppose to clean. Thanks for the response.

_az I thought I would let you know a2 is going to reload my VSP server with a clean OS without any cPanel! Yes, I have to reload the site but I am prepared for that.
Lesson learned: when VSP ing from a2 with an unsupported server make sure you have them load an OS WITHOUT cPanel.
I am very happy with them for doing this. They are a great provider.
Again thanks for your responses they were very helpful and confirmed what I kind of thought was going on.

3 Likes

Update, with the clean OS WITHOUT cPanel everything is working perfectly. Very simple and not one single issue!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.