Cert has expired but I don't know credentials

Hi.

Our Let’s Encrypt certificate has just expired and we don’t have any user credentials.

We inherited the IT support a couple of years ago and no-one knows who originally setup the SSL on the domain.

How do we take ownership of the SSL so we can renew it please?

As long as you have ownership of the domain, you can obtain a new certificate.

Can you provide some details of your setup please …

domain name:

operating system is (include version):

web server is (include version):

hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name andversion of the control panel):

1 Like

Hi Andy.

Thanks for coming back to me so quickly.
We use the SSL purely for Office 365 Outlook connections.

domain name: precisionunderwriting.co.uk

operating system is (include version): N/A (just used for O365)

web server is (include version): Don’t know

hosting provider, if applicable, is:123-Reg

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):Don’t know
I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name andversion of the control panel):Yes, on 123-Reg

Regards, Brad.

Hi Brad,

From a quick look, you have had just one SSL cert, although obtained fairly early in the morning for UK 2016-09-10 04:51:10 GMT - You say “We inherited the IT support a couple of years ago and no-one knows who originally setup the SSL” - does this give any clues ( as it was only 3 months ago).

If not, then we can talk you through obtaining a new certificate which you can upload.

Thanks.

Very strange as none of us in IT have ever requested an SSL for this domain - we don’t actually need it as O365 provides its own one, but now we have an expired one, it’s displaying errors.

Can we remove it completely so it doesn’t come up as expired?
Alternatively, please talk me through obtaining a new one which we can upload?

Also, is it normal to expire after only 3 months?

Regards, Brad.

Yes, all Let's Encrypt certificates are only valid for 90 days. The aim is that there should be a system in place to automatically renew them.

Odd, I don't see how anyone other than yourselves can obtain, and install, a certificate for you.

if O365 provides it's own - then yes, that seems the simplest option by far.

Ok, thanks.

Therefore how do we delete the SSL certificate so we don’t see reminders about it expiring please?

Regards, Brad.

You need to login to your O365 system, and do it there ( via the IIS Manager, connections usually).

Thanks, I don’t know how to do this (as we’ve never set one up in O365 before) but I’ll raise a ticket with Microsoft to ask them to do it.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards, Brad.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.