Cerbot 0.35.1 Error on Renew

Everything has been running perfectly for over a year now and today I received an e-mail saying all the domain name certificates on this server are expiring in 20 days. When I logged in and checked everything I saw the error msg listed below when running the renew via certbot. The only thing that has changed, according to the logs is that certbot updated to version 0.35.1 27 days ago.

My domain is: jcadg.com

I ran this command: certbot-auto renew --keep-until-expiring -q --agree-tos --post-hook ‘/etc/init.d/apache2.4 restart’

It produced this output: /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/jcadg.com.conf produced an unexpected error: Missing command line flag or config entry for this setting:
Input the webroot for jcadg.com:. Skipping

My web server is (include version): Apache 2.4

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Debian 7.5

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): Yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): No

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot): 0.35.1

Hi @kittonian

remove the -q - that supresses required questions. Your webroot parameter is missing, so Certbot doesn't know what to do.

1 Like

There was a Certbot bug that could, in some circumstances, cause Certbot to forget the webroot path it had previously saved. It was fixed in 0.35.0.

If you add the necessary “-w” option(s) to your “certbot-auto renew” command, it should use them, and save them again.

1 Like

Thank you both. I ended up revoking and re-creating all the certificates and the same command I’ve been using forever works just fine again. That was a big bug and I wish it was documented somewhere clearly. I was not familiar with -w options and just saw your reply after everything was back and working.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.