Can't renew certificate on ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS, max limit

#/usr/bin/certbot -q renew

Attempting to renew cert (bbb.kiu.edu.ge) from /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/bbb.kiu.edu.ge.conf produced an unexpected error: Failed authorization procedure. bbb.kiu.edu.ge (http-01): urn:ietf:params:acme:error:connection :: The server could not connect to the client to verify the domain :: 212.72.140.52: Fetching http://bbb.kiu.edu.ge/.well-known/acme-challenge/6p_oSmBfoCgauhvBvy7QdMNkESokFqaGbkuPxkAtcoI: Timeout during connect (likely firewall problem). Skipping.
All renewal attempts failed. The following certs could not be renewed:
/etc/letsencrypt/live/bbb.kiu.edu.ge/fullchain.pem (failure)

During exploring the problem and making experiments I've got max limit error:

#/usr/bin/certbot -q renew
Attempting to renew cert (bbb.kiu.edu.ge) from /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/bbb.kiu.edu.ge.conf produced an unexpected error: urn:ietf:params:acme:error:rateLimited :: There were too many requests of a given type :: Error creating new order :: too many failed authorizations recently: see Rate Limits - Let's Encrypt. Skipping.
All renewal attempts failed. The following certs could not be renewed:
/etc/letsencrypt/live/bbb.kiu.edu.ge/fullchain.pem (failure)

How to resolve the problem asap?

Regarding the rate limit: as you can find out on the linked rate limit documentation page, it's a per hour rate limit.

You should use the staging environment for testing to prevent hitting that rate limit again.

Regarding the error you're seeing earlier: make sure your site is accessible on port 80 for the entire globe. From my point of view currently that's now the case and also Let's Debug doesn't report an error.

So my suggestion is to try the staging environment to see if everything now works and wait for the production environment rate limit to be lifted to try again on the production environment.

6 Likes

Great, thank your for the information. So I'll test it again in 1 hour in stage env.

1 Like

For testing on the staging environment you don't have to wait. It does have certain rate limits, but those aren't coupled to the production environment limits and they are ridiculously generous. Not something you're likely to hit.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.