Cannot renew a Lets Encrypt certificate

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:

**nqchurch.duckdns.org (I have 5 webs servers running behind a reverse proxy server. They all use the same LetsEncrypt certificate

nqchurch.duckdns.org, nqht.duckdns.org, nqht2020.duckdns.org, nqsupport.duckdns.org, williamsonwatsonfamilytree.duckdns.org**

I ran this command: sudo certbot renew

It produced this output:

Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Processing /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/nqchurch.duckdns.org.conf

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Cert is due for renewal, auto-renewing...

Plugins selected: Authenticator nginx, Installer nginx

Renewing an existing certificate

Performing the following challenges:

http-01 challenge for nqchurch.duckdns.org

http-01 challenge for nqht.duckdns.org

http-01 challenge for nqht2020.duckdns.org

http-01 challenge for nqsupport.duckdns.org

http-01 challenge for williamsonwatsonfamilytree.duckdns.org

Waiting for verification...

Cleaning up challenges

Attempting to renew cert (nqchurch.duckdns.org) from /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/nqchurch.duckdns.org.conf produced an unexpected error: Failed authorization procedure. nqsupport.duckdns.org (http-01): urn:ietf:params:acme:error:unauthorized :: The client lacks sufficient authorization :: Invalid response from http://nqsupport.duckdns.org/ [188.28.139.153]: "\r\n<html", nqht.duckdns.org (http-01): urn:ietf:params:acme:error:unauthorized :: The client lacks sufficient authorization :: Invalid response from http://nqht.duckdns.org/ [188.28.139.153]: "\r\n<html", nqht2020.duckdns.org (http-01): urn:ietf:params:acme:error:unauthorized :: The client lacks sufficient authorization :: Invalid response from http://nqht2020.duckdns.org/ [188.28.139.153]: "\r\n<html", williamsonwatsonfamilytree.duckdns.org (http-01): urn:ietf:params:acme:error:unauthorized :: The client lacks sufficient authorization :: Invalid response from http://williamsonwatsonfamilytree.duckdns.org/ [188.28.139.153]: "\r\n<html", nqchurch.duckdns.org (http-01): urn:ietf:params:acme:error:unauthorized :: The client lacks sufficient authorization :: Invalid response from http://nqchurch.duckdns.org/ [188.28.139.153]: "\r\n<html". Skipping.

All renewal attempts failed. The following certs could not be renewed:

/etc/letsencrypt/live/nqchurch.duckdns.org/fullchain.pem (failure)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

All renewal attempts failed. The following certs could not be renewed:

/etc/letsencrypt/live/nqchurch.duckdns.org/fullchain.pem (failure)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

1 renew failure(s), 0 parse failure(s)

IMPORTANT NOTES:

- The following errors were reported by the server:

Domain: nqsupport.duckdns.org

Type: unauthorized

Detail: Invalid response from http://nqsupport.duckdns.org/

[188.28.139.153]: "<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0

Transitional//EN"

"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">\r\n<html"

Domain: nqht.duckdns.org

Type: unauthorized

Detail: Invalid response from http://nqht.duckdns.org/

[188.28.139.153]: "<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0

Transitional//EN"

"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">\r\n<html"

Domain: nqht2020.duckdns.org

Type: unauthorized

Detail: Invalid response from http://nqht2020.duckdns.org/

[188.28.139.153]: "<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0

Transitional//EN"

"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">\r\n<html"

Domain: williamsonwatsonfamilytree.duckdns.org

Type: unauthorized

Detail: Invalid response from

http://williamsonwatsonfamilytree.duckdns.org/ [188.28.139.153]:

"<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"

"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">\r\n<html"

Domain: nqchurch.duckdns.org

Type: unauthorized

Detail: Invalid response from http://nqchurch.duckdns.org/

[188.28.139.153]: "<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0

Transitional//EN"

"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">\r\n<html"

To fix these errors, please make sure that your domain name was

entered correctly and the DNS A/AAAA record(s) for that domain

contain(s) the right IP address.

My web server is (include version): nginx/1.14.2

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: N/A

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): Yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): No

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): certbot 0.31.0

Your port 80 is accessing your Buffalo LinkStation and NOT your nginx webserver.

Please make sure your port redirects and/or portmaps are correct.

Also, you're lucky the admin password is different than the default password. Otherwise anyone on the internet could have modified your LinkStations configuration...

Thank You for the prompt respsonse.

While trouble-shooting this problem yesterday, I realized that I had mis-configured port-forwarding in my (new) router. I had set port forwarding on 80 and 443 to the nginx webserver and had also set port forwarding on port 80 to the Buffalo LinkStation (it should have been 9000)

I changed the settings, but I am still seeing this problem.

Maybe I need to "power-cycle" the router :slight_smile:
Regards,

Boydwill.

Seems to be working now: HTTP on port 80 now is served by nginx and redirects to HTTPS.

Try your renewal again :slight_smile:

Thank You VERY much

After a power cycle, I was able to renew the certificate. So although the router said the port-forwarding setting had been changed, they were not actioned until the power was cycled.

Can I ask how you were able to tell which device (Buffalo NAS server v nginx webserver) was connected to port 80? (I used https://portchecker.co/ to verify that ports 80 and 443 were open.)

Regards,

Boydwill.

First, I used curl to see what the response from your hostname(s) were. I saw "Lighthttpd" as the webserver, which was different than your mentioned nginx.

Then I just simply surfed to your websites using my browser, which resulted in the NAS configuration panel :wink: Using https:// I did see the correct site, but using http:// the NAS.

Thank You

And thanks for the very prompt initial response.

I had spent hours yesterday trying to fix this. I was stumped - especially after I had found (and thought I had fixed) the port forwarding problem.

Regards

Boydwill