Can not generate new certificate

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: chicandshopqatar.com

I ran this command: sudo certbot certonly --cert-name chicandshopqatar.com -d chicandshopqatar.com -d www.chicandshopqatar.com

It produced this output: Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log

How would you like to authenticate with the ACME CA?

1: Nginx Web Server plugin (nginx)
2: Spin up a temporary webserver (standalone)
3: Place files in webroot directory (webroot)

Select the appropriate number [1-3] then [enter] (press 'c' to cancel): 1
Plugins selected: Authenticator nginx, Installer None
An unexpected error occurred:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/urllib3/contrib/pyopenssl.py", line 485, in wrap_socket
cnx.do_handshake()
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/OpenSSL/SSL.py", line 1915, in do_handshake
self._raise_ssl_error(self._ssl, result)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/OpenSSL/SSL.py", line 1640, in _raise_ssl_error
raise SysCallError(-1, "Unexpected EOF")
OpenSSL.SSL.SysCallError: (-1, 'Unexpected EOF')

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 665, in urlopen
httplib_response = self._make_request(
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 376, in _make_request
self._validate_conn(conn)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 996, in validate_conn
conn.connect()
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/urllib3/connection.py", line 366, in connect
self.sock = ssl_wrap_socket(
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/urllib3/util/ssl
.py", line 370, in ssl_wrap_socket
return context.wrap_socket(sock, server_hostname=server_hostname)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/urllib3/contrib/pyopenssl.py", line 491, in wrap_socket
raise ssl.SSLError("bad handshake: %r" % e)
ssl.SSLError: ("bad handshake: SysCallError(-1, 'Unexpected EOF')",)

File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/requests/adapters.py", line 439, in send
resp = conn.urlopen(
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 719, in urlopen
retries = retries.increment(
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/urllib3/util/retry.py", line 436, in increment
raise MaxRetryError(_pool, url, error or ResponseError(cause))
urllib3.exceptions.MaxRetryError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /directory (Caused by SSLError(SSLError("bad handshake: SysCallError(-1, 'Unexpected EOF')")))

requests.exceptions.SSLError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /directory (Caused by SSLError(SSLError("bad handshake: SysCallError(-1, 'Unexpected EOF')")))
Please see the logfiles in /var/log/letsencrypt for more details.

My web server is (include version): nginx/1.18.0 (Ubuntu)

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Ubuntu 20.04

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: namecheap

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): no

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): certbot 0.40.0 certbot-auto: command not found

2 Likes

You may be running into the DDoS-mitigation blocking:

@lestaff, can you take a look?

In the meantime, you may want to double-check that your server hasn't been taken over by "bad guys" (or, if you were recently assigned your server's IP, be aware that a prior owner of that IP may have been taken over for or was otherwise used for "bad things").

3 Likes

Your IP address was flagged and automatically blocked at the CDN. I've removed the block. Best of luck.

4 Likes

Thank you very much for quick reply. I recently transferred my digitalocean droplet using snapshot to new account. The droplet was running Ubuntu 16.04 before transferring to new Droplet that runs Ubuntu 20.04. I purge and remove the certbot and it's configuration with autoremove. Followed the guide on certbot official site to install the certbot on Ubuntu 20.04 for Nginx. And it resolved the issue.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.