Boulder-ra grpc: failed dns TXT record lookup due to lookup _grpc_config.ca.boulder on 127.0.0.11:53: server misbehaving

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: n/a (internal testing)

I ran this command: docker logs boulder_boulder_1

It produced this output:
I131956 boulder-ra grpc: failed dns SRV record lookup due to lookup _grpclb._tcp.ca.boulder on 127.0.0.11:53: server misbehaving.

My web server is (include version): n/a

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Ubuntu 16.04

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: n/a

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
no, I’m running a fresh git clone of the boulder server

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot):
I’m using a custom client that’s been in production for a long time.

Hi @Orbital,

It looks like you're asking for support with a Boulder problem. Can I ask in what context are you running Boulder? For integration testing or otherwise?

Can you explain more about what your question is? Are you observing errors using your Boulder instance or are you asking about this specific grpc error message?

It's normal to see SRV and TXT lookup failures from gRPC when the Boulder stack first comes up. We use a small mock DNS server for service discovery in the Boulder development environment and it only returns A records for the gRPC services.

I work at Akamai and I’m attempting to upgrade our internal Boulder integration test servers.
I have a misconfiguration somewhere and I’m just walking down the list of error messages that might help me find what I did wrong.

Thanks for letting me know that these errors are normal when Boulder first comes up.
I really appreciate the quick response.

Gotcha! Thanks for the context :+1:

No problem. One thing I noticed is that the errors I see in my normal startup output differ slightly from yours:

boulder-ra grpc: failed dns SRV record lookup due to lookup _grpclb._tcp.publisher.boulder on 127.0.0.11:53: lame referral.
boulder-ra grpc: failed dns TXT record lookup due to lookup _grpc_config.sa.boulder on 127.0.0.11:53: lame referral.

"lame referral" vs "server misbehaving".

Sounds good :+1: If you need more help it would be easier if you could share more about the symptoms that lead you to believe you have a misconfiguration, the version/tag of Boulder you're using, and any local configuration that differs from the stock Boulder docker-compose.yml and test/config tree.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.