AWS EC2 Free Tier ubuntu server(plz help me): The Certificate Authority failed to verify the temporary nginx configuration changes made by Certbot. Ensure the listed domains point to this nginx server and that it is accessible from the internet

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: korealabama.com

I ran this command: sudo cerbot --nginx

It produced this output: Certbot failed to authenticate some domains (authenticator: nginx). The Certificate Authority reported these problems:
Domain: korealabama.com
Type: unauthorized
Detail: 2607:f1c0:100f:f000::200: Invalid response from http://korealabama.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/iZXsOS9hN2__NfG6xE1gI6OCFID9KVnh5Zof55Y7__c: 204

Hint: The Certificate Authority failed to verify the temporary nginx configuration changes made by Certbot. Ensure the listed domains point to this nginx server and that it is accessible from the internet.

Some challenges have failed.

My web server is (include version): nginx 1.18.0(ubuntu)

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): ubuntu 22.04.4

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: aws ec2 free tier

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):no

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):2.9.0

can someone please help me about this?
I am trying to get https at first time.
I can provide the log if you want to check.
Thank you so much and have a great day!

2 Likes

Hi @ychoi3, and welcome to the LE community forum :slight_smile:

Did you setup nginx for IPv4 and IPv6?
It seems like you may have missed a step:
Your IPv4 address goes to AWS:
ARIN Whois/RDAP - American Registry for Internet Numbers (3.145.41.113)
But your IPv6 address goes to IONOS:
ARIN Whois/RDAP - American Registry for Internet Numbers (2607:f1c0:100f:f000::200)

3 Likes

I am so sorry.. I am so new to this. could you explain how to setup for IPv4 and v6???
Thank you so much. I tried to set these up with chatGPT but it wasn't helpful

2 Likes

I solved it! I changed dns settings and it is working. because my ipv6 was assigned to ionos.
Thank you sososo much!!!!!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.