Assessment failed: Unable to connect to the server

G'day.

My domain is: vscode.jgalec.me

I ran this command: SSL Server Test: vscode.jgalec.me (Powered by Qualys SSL Labs)

It produced this output: Assessment failed: Unable to connect to the server

My web server is (include version): Ubuntu Server 18.04.5 x64

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Ubuntu Server 18.04.5 x64

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: through an Azure virtual machine

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): no

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): certbot 0.27.0

Also, the website is not opening in the browser.

2 Likes

Hi @jgalec

please explain: What's your question?

Your server doesn't answer -> so you have to fix it. Firewall, router, webserver not started.

2 Likes

TCP port 443 has to be open for HTTPS to work. In all firewalls.

4 Likes

I opened a code-server installation accessible at vscode.jgalec.me with Nginx as a reverse proxy, I navigated to the subdomain and everything worked, the code-server login prompt, etc, but I wanted to secure it applying a free Let’s Encrypt TLS certificate, so I run the sudo certbot --nginx -d code-server.your-domain to request certificate and it was successfully enabled

Congratulations!

but the website is not opening in the browser :frowning:

2 Likes

It's already opened (I guess)

Screenshot_20210409_121907

2 Likes

Works https internal?

curl https://vscode.jgalec.me/

from that machine?

If yes, you have another firewall you have to open.

Port 80 answers -> compare it.

2 Likes

No, it doesn't :neutral_face:

1 Like

May be your configuration is completely buggy. But you have root access, so you know how to fix it.

Try

curl https://127.0.0.1/

to see, if there runs something.

PS: You have a proxy. Tons of errors are possible.

2 Likes

Ahhh goddammit I figured out, I set up an inbound rule to the 443 port in my vm network config

Thanks!

3 Likes

Thanks for confirming that you were able to find and use a solution. This can be so helpful for future helpseekers who may be having the same or similar issues you're having.

2 Likes

It's actually fairly common with some cloud hosters.. I don't know anything about those cloud stuff, but I do know some (or just one, I dunno) have two firewalls which can be configured separately..

3 Likes

Perhaps this could be turned into a FAQ for the list that Jacob's compiling? Or is it already on the list?

2 Likes

Not sure! If I were you, I'd certainly mention it.. Although it might be even better to compile some sort of "Most common reasons why you get the following error message" page with per possible error message a list of common reasons why.

3 Likes

I dig this idea immensely.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.