An unexpected error occurred: UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xfc' in position 3: ordinal not in range(128)

My domain is: fralix.ovh

I ran this command: certbot-auto --apache

It produced this output:
root@xalph:/global/bin# certbot-auto --apache
Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
An unexpected error occurred:
UnicodeEncodeError: ‘ascii’ codec can’t encode character u’\xfc’ in position 3: ordinal not in range(128)
Please see the logfiles in /var/log/letsencrypt for more details.

root@xalph:/global/bin# tail /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log

domains = list(installer.get_all_names())

File “/root/.local/share/letsencrypt/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/certbot_apache/configurator.py”, line 483, in get_all_names
return util.get_filtered_names(all_names)
File “/root/.local/share/letsencrypt/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/certbot/util.py”, line 301, in get_filtered_names
filtered_names.add(enforce_le_validity(name))
File “/root/.local/share/letsencrypt/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/certbot/util.py”, line 501, in enforce_le_validity
domain = enforce_domain_sanity(domain)
File “/root/.local/share/letsencrypt/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/certbot/util.py”, line 542, in enforce_domain_sanity
"Wildcard domains are not supported: {0}".format(domain))
UnicodeEncodeError: ‘ascii’ codec can’t encode character u’\xfc’ in position 3: ordinal not in range(128)
root@xalph:/global/bin#

My web server is (include version):
Server version: Apache/2.4.10 (Debian)

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
/etc/debian_version

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:
http://dyn-box.de (OVH)

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):
yes
I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
no

I am looking for more than 5 hours for a way to use certbot to get a certificate but nothing works. It is not the first time I try this, the last 2 times I canceled after a few hours. What is wrong whis this software?

Hi @fralix,

It looks like you found a bug in Certbot related to displaying an error message when your existing configuration file contains a wildcard and a non-ASCII domain name (like *.exámple.com). Is it possible that you have such a name in your configuration file?

Ah sure. Yeah, I fixed the problem. In one of the configuration files was a jüdisches-kinderheim.de - I didn’t notice it because the vhost this page was for doesn’t matters yet (this domain isn’t even registered). I removed it now and it works.
Thanks.
But I am a bit upset that it took me more than 5 hours to install certbot. Actually I had to remove my whole python installation and reinstall it because something went wrong (not sure if it is a CertBot or Apt problem). And if this problem occurs for other others I think they will keep HTTP on there websites.
A few months ago I already tried CertBot and got these problems and I just let the pages stay as they were because I didn’t had the time. Affording more than 5 hours is not possible for unimportant projects.
I think this point needs big improvement!

hi @fralix

But I am a bit upset that it took me more than 5 hours to install certbot

To be as polite as I can, this is more a reflection on preparation

Certbot has certain requirements which need to be met like any other program. If these aren't met then you will not be able to use it

There is an array of clients to choose from ACME Client Implementations - Let's Encrypt so I would choose one that meets your requirements.

Just my 5 cents but as a project engineer I very rarely blame the software if I haven't done my prep work

The first time you do something is always the longest (we have just spent 2 hours doing Azure SSO configs because we don't do it day to day) but the next time is usually quicker.

I find some of the other clients tend to be a bit more forgiving in terms of installation and have a smaller learning curve

Let me know what kind of servers you usually work with and I can suggest some alternatives :smiley:

Andrei

But there are ways to make it as easy as you can. There are docs and instructions for my Debian 8 VPS (openVZ) but they didn't work for me. I already said that it might be an APT problem. But if it occurs more often, those notes should be added to the instructions.
I have to point out that I am not a full-working web developer but a 15 year old student. I think there are possibilities to make software handling as easy as you can.
Offtopic: I don't know much people using Linux // other free software as main OS because often it is very hard to do what you want without long research.

of course the next time I won't need that much time but I like software that is easy to install and to configurate.

"Usually" - it is my second server. I use VPS, I think I like openVZ more than full virtualization. I like Debian, Apache and PHP.

A) apologies for being a hardass - if you are doing websites etc at 15 congrats to you :smiley: it's an awesome achievement

B) You do some good work on troubleshooting and yes you are right about the root causes (debian 8 etc)

C) I am buying a deban 8 VPS host so will put it through the paces. I suspect I know what the common issues are but am going to do my own investigation.

"Usually" - it is my second server. I use VPS, I think I like openVZ more than full virtualization. I like Debian, Apache and PHP.

D) This is a good combo. Just work to be done on testing etc

Thanks for holding in, thanks for being passionate.

Will post results as soon as I have them :smiley:

Andrei

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.