Adding ISRG Root X1 to chrome manually

After September update, I can not access many websites on my Chrome. I don't have this issue in Firefox, and everything works fine, but Safari has the same problem.

I am using "macos 10.11.6", and my chrome version is "Version 94.0.4606.71 (Official Build) (x86_64)".

Is there anyway I can manually add ISRG Root X1 to the list of trusted root certificates?

If there is any other way that solves this issue that would be great too.

1 Like

Try this:

• Download the ISRG Root X1 certificate file from http://x1.i.lencr.org/
  • Open the Keychain Access app and drag that file into the System folder of that app.
  • Find the ISRG Root X1 certificate in System and double click on it, open the Trust menu and change "Use System Defaults" to "Always Trust", then close that and enter your password to confirm the change (if prompted).
4 Likes

I downloaded the ISRG Root x1 certificate file but once i try to open it, it pops out a window says "The system Roots" keychain cannot be modified, To change whether a root certificate is trusted, open it in Keychain Access and modify its Trust Settings. New root certificates should be added to the login keychain for the current user, or to the System keychain if they are to be shared by all users of this machine.

and when i unlock the system roots keychain and system, I couldnt find ISRG certificate in there at all.. im using MacOS 10.11.6 and chrome is Version 94.0.4606.71 the same as well and same to me I can not access many websites on my chrome and i dont have this issue in firefox...what can I do now? please HLEP...

Open Keychain, open System (not System Roots). Drag the file into the list. Once installed, double click the certificate (or choose "Get Info"), expand Trust, Choose "Always Trust".

2 Likes

For posterity, this is a bash/terminal command for mac OS (all on one line) I used to download ISRG Root X1 and install it:

curl http://x1.i.lencr.org/ --output $HOME/Downloads/ISRG_Root_X1.der | sudo security add-trusted-cert -d -r trustRoot -k "/Library/Keychains/System.keychain" "$HOME/Downloads/ISRG_Root_X1.der"

7 Likes

Amazing, u r the LIFE SAVER. it works finally, thank you so much!

4 Likes

Thank you very much. Works without any issue. :grinning:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.