Adding ISRG Root X1 on Windows

Hi @webprofusion @rg305, I finally found a fix with the help of Stephen Wagner. Are you allowed to post links to other sites on here?

1 Like

Yes, please do!

1 Like

Great!

Additional help from his Twitter:

"You might have better success with DER [format]. When you add them, add them to the "Computer Account" Certificate store. The 2 Root CAs go in "Trusted Root Certification Authorities" folder, and the Intermediate goes in "Intermediate Certificate Authorities""

Restart Chrome and hey presto! Hope this works for others

1 Like

One error in the linked article: He suggests adding the R3 intermediate to your trust store, but that should never be necessary.

3 Likes

Hi @jsha I added the R3 to Intermediate Certificate Authorities, is that what you mean? And when you say " that should never be necessary", will there be any issues? Thanks.

It probably won't cause any issues, but it's not really the correct thing to do. What would cause issues is if someone installed only the intermediate and not the roots. That would cause breakage down the line next time we switch intermediates.

1 Like

@jsha Oh, that doesn't sound good. Is there anyway of uninstalling the R3 then? I installed it after installing the two roots

1 Like

Given that you've also installed the roots, I don't think you need to worry about it.

3 Likes

Hi @jsha Phew! Thanks for the help.

I passed the error on to him on Twitter and he said:

"Oh ya, it's not necessary"

"I just posted it because it's helping some IT admin's learn about the hierchary of certs, and there's some begineers who can't install the Root's, so having the intermediate might work"

"It's an extra step, un-needed, but it's still semi-relevant"

1 Like

The weird thing is that my instructions (double click and install it to Local Machine) should have resulted in exactly the same outcome, I think. Glad you got it working anyway :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.