Acme: error: 400 :: urn:ietf:params:acme:error:dns :: DNS problem: SERVFAIL looking up A for les-play.com

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: les-play.com

I ran this command: sudo /opt/bitnami/letsencrypt/scripts/generate-certificate.sh -m YOURMAIL -d YOURDOMAIN

It produced this output: 2020/05/25 14:28:33 Could not obtain certificates:
error: one or more domains had a problem:
[www.les-play.com] acme: error: 400 :: urn:ietf:params:acme:error:dns :: DNS problem: SERVFAIL looking
up A for www.les-play.com - the domain’s nameservers may be malfunctioning, url:
Error: Something went wrong when running the following command:
$ “LEGO_BIN" --path "/opt/bitnami/letsencrypt" --tls --email="{email}” ${domain_args} run
Please check our documentation or open a ticket in our community forum, our team will be more than hap
py to help you!

My web server is (include version): NGINX 1.18.0

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Linux bitnami-wordpresspro-77dd 4.9.0-12-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.210-1 (2020-01-
20) x86_64

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: Google Cloud

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): I don’t know.

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot):

1 Like

The root name resolves to an IP:

Name:    les-play.com
Address:  34.105.215.100

But the WWW does not.

You have a DNS problem.

2 Likes

It has a CNAME pointing to itself, so it can’t work.

www.les-play.com.       254     IN      CNAME   www.les-play.com.

You should either replace the CNAME with an A record and whatever else you need, or change it to point to a different target like les-play.com.. (Which might be represented as something like “@” or “les-play.com” or “les-play.com.” in your DNS control panel.)

3 Likes

Wow! That’s worked. Thank you very much :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.