_acme-challenge name collision getting wildcard cer

Briefly, I’m trying to get a wildcard cert that also includes the base domain:

openssl req -text -noout -verify -in star.dirtside.com.csr
X509v3 Subject Alternative Name:
DNS:dirtside.com, DNS:.dirtside.com, DNS:.dirtside.net, DNS:dirtside.net, DNS:*.dirtside.org, DNS:dirtside.org

This causes certbot to generate _acme-challenge.domain.name twice with two different values. When it attempts to then verify the colliding names, half of them of course fail.

My domain is: dirtside.com

I ran this command:
certbot certonly --config certbot.ini --csr ./$D.csr --manual --preferred-challenges dns --preferred-challenges dns --server https://acme-staging-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/directory --manual-public-ip-logging-ok --manual-auth-hook challenge.sh

It produced this output:
Saving debug log to /home/herrin/certbot/star/letsencrypt.log
Plugins selected: Authenticator manual, Installer None
Performing the following challenges:
dns-01 challenge for dirtside.com
dns-01 challenge for dirtside.net
dns-01 challenge for dirtside.org
dns-01 challenge for dirtside.com
dns-01 challenge for dirtside.net
dns-01 challenge for dirtside.org
Output from challenge.sh:
server reload successful

server reload successful

server reload successful

server reload successful

server reload successful

server reload successful

Waiting for verification…
Cleaning up challenges
Failed authorization procedure. dirtside.net (dns-01): urn:ietf:params:acme:error:unauthorized :: The client lacks sufficient authorization :: Incorrect TXT record “n70IKgiDngge20rwtQqEo7CmOvxhpL8CwAIo0g5vsiE” found at _acme-challenge.dirtside.net, dirtside.org (dns-01): urn:ietf:params:acme:error:unauthorized :: The client lacks sufficient authorization :: Incorrect TXT record “QPj7n4VXXCBz6QV3kZm_8x58SnpZUrbs46tmKvvRWpg” found at _acme-challenge.dirtside.org, dirtside.com (dns-01): urn:ietf:params:acme:error:unauthorized :: The client lacks sufficient authorization :: Incorrect TXT record “T0bJfSBMRvTolXeKCQJoe_DAcdgDAQxRBYF4iKjawRQ” found at _acme-challenge.dirtside.com

IMPORTANT NOTES:

• The following errors were reported by the server:

Domain: dirtside.net
    Type: unauthorized
    Detail: Incorrect TXT record
    “n70IKgiDngge20rwtQqEo7CmOvxhpL8CwAIo0g5vsiE” found at
    _acme-challenge.dirtside.net

Domain: dirtside.org
    “QPj7n4VXXCBz6QV3kZm_8x58SnpZUrbs46tmKvvRWpg” found at
    _acme-challenge.dirtside.org

Domain: dirtside.com
    “T0bJfSBMRvTolXeKCQJoe_DAcdgDAQxRBYF4iKjawRQ” found at
    _acme-challenge.dirtside.com

To fix these errors, please make sure that your domain name was
    entered correctly and the DNS A/AAAA record(s) for that domain
    contain(s) the right IP address.

My web server is (include version): none

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Debian Linux Stable (Buster, 10)

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: none

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): no

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot): certbot 0.31.0

Note that when run without “–manual-auth-hook challenge.sh”, the challenges only happen once, not twice, and it all works.

Both TXT records need to exist simultaneously. Your manual auth hook needs to add records without deleting existing records.

(Use a manual cleanup hook to delete them when finished.)

Might have been this mistake:

When I fixed that on the next domain I worked with, it only generated one challenge.

I don’t think that would be the reason.

A more likely cause is authorization caching. Once you have successfully completed an authorization on your ACME account, the CA will avoid asking you to repeat the same authorization for some period of time.

So, imagine that on the first try, you completed authorization #1, but failed authorization #2.

A subsequent run would only ask you to complete authorization #2.

How does your challenge.sh work? If it is RFC2136/nsupdate, there is a way to do things without blowing away the entire _acme-challenge RRSet every time.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.