Account is not valid, has status "deactivated"

Found the deb package of the old version (which was previously installed) and reinstalled it with the command dpkg -i
Now everything is in place. The only thing left to do is to solve the problem

1 Like

What version of certbot do you have now?

Is there anything special about the LE accounts on that system?
[can they all be deleted?]

3 Likes

Do you have pip? You can also select pip (as OS) at the Certbot instruction page.

2 Likes

1.12.0 (it was originally). If I understood you correctly about LE accounts, but they are only 2 of them and they can be removed. I tried but a mistake crashes out.

1 Like

No, I didn't have a pip

1 Like

What's the output of:

python -m pip
2 Likes

Then why not just move the accounts folder elsewhere [as a backup] and rerun certbot?

3 Likes

1 Like

Perhaps:

python3 -m pip

? Because you at least should have (had) Python installed, as Certbot is a Python application.

1 Like

Is that the right system?
Can you login as root?

3 Likes

1 Like

Yes, I can log in with my root login

1 Like

Can you show that it is indeed Debian 11?

3 Likes

Well, that sucks.. :confused:

Lastly perhaps you could directly install the .deb files for Debian 11 from Debian -- Details of package certbot in bullseye? At the bottom there's a section with heading "Download certbot" and in the table below it you can click on the "all" architecture, which leads to the download/mirrors page for the Certbot .deb.

However, I don't think dpkg handles dependencies. If you ONLY removed the certbot package without uninstalling the dependencies, just installing the certbot package might work. If for some reason the dependencies are also gone, you'd need to manually also download and install python3-certbot and also other dependencies missing such as python3-acme. But that's just a whole rabbit hole you're going down then, as deps are nested many layers deep and figuring out what's already installed and what not manually is a PITA..

Also I find it very, VERY strange your Debian does not have any package manager except dpkg.. Somehow Certbot was installed earlier, so how would that have happened to begin with? With some package mananger, right?!

2 Likes

If all else fails...
How about using acme.sh instead of certbot?

3 Likes

So I haven't tried it yet. I will try, thanks for the advice

1 Like

I completely agree "Well, that sucks..: confused:."
I only removed the certbot package, so the dependencies didn't have to be pulled up. I handed it over to the developers, since they created a bootloader with the OS already with all the necessary packages, why they did not explain exactly this configuration to me, perhaps this is an error in the assembly.

Thank you for your help, in the end everything worked out, the certificate was received :hugs:

3 Likes

Can you perhaps share the solution with future readers and mark that post also as "Solution", so the thread is marked as "done".

3 Likes