Wildcard for domain and dedicated certificate for one subdomain

Hi,
We have a site that lists applications/demos (caleydoapp.org) with one subdomain per application (e.g. ordino.caleydoapp.org).
Can I request a “default” wildcard certificate for *.caleydoapp.org that includes all possible subdomains and still request+use a dedicated certificate for foobar.caleydoapp.org if I want to?
The reason is that a few applications are hosted on another server and this approach might be easier than transferring certificates from server A to B.

My domain is:
caleydoapp.org

I ran this command:
certbot certonly -d caleydoapp.org cohort.caleydoapp.org […] --standalone --text --keep --non-interactive --email bot@caleydo.org --agree-tos --expand

It produced this output:
certificate

My web server is (include version):
nginx/1.17.4

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
Alpine 3.10

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot):
v0.35.1

1 Like

Yes. I have a wildcard for my whole domain, and separate certificates for individual servers. There’s no restriction on that.

1 Like

Great. Thank you for the quick answer!

1 Like

Hi @keckelt

you can.

But there is a rate limit.

Max. 50 certificates per domain per week.

So it's not a problem if you have some (10 - 30) subdomains.

But if you have a lot of subdomains, you may hit the limit.

2 Likes

Thank you! Currently there would only be the wildcard certificate plus certificates for two subdomains :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.