Wildcard Certificate with Google Cloud DNS urn:ietf:params:acme:error:unauthorized

Dear Community.

I have previously successfully generated certificates the exact same way I am trying to renew, and now generate them again, but I receive the errors state below.
I have even elevated the related service-account’s rights to owner, with no avail.

I am in big sh*t currently because of this, I would really appreciate any insight that may rescue me out of this predicament.

Thank you for your time, effort and help.

My domain is:
sys.cf.smart-iiot.io

I ran this command:
sudo docker run -it --name certbot --rm -v "/etc/letsencrypt:/etc/letsencrypt" -v "/var/lib/letsencrypt:/var/lib/letsencrypt" -v "/home/$(whoami)/.secrets/certbot:/secrets" -v /var/log/letsencrypt:/var/log/letsencrypt certbot/dns-google --dns-google --dns-google-credentials /secrets/google.json --server https://acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/directory certonly --staging --break-my-certs -d '*.apps.cf.smart-iiot.io' -d '*.sys.cf.smart-iiot.io' -d '*.ws.cf.smart-iiot.io' -d '*.cf.smart-iiot.io' -d '*.login.sys.cf.smart-iiot.io' -d '*.uaa.sys.cf.smart-iiot.io'

It produced this output:
Failed authorization procedure. uaa.sys.cf.smart-iiot.io (dns-01): urn:ietf:params:acme:error:unauthorized :: The client lacks sufficient authorization :: No TXT record found at _acme-challenge.uaa.sys.cf.smart-iiot.io, sys.cf.smart-iiot.io (dns-01): urn:ietf:params:acme:error:unauthorized :: The client lacks sufficient authorization :: No TXT record found at _acme-challenge.sys.cf.smart-iiot.io, login.sys.cf.smart-iiot.io (dns-01): urn:ietf:params:acme:error:unauthorized :: The client lacks sufficient authorization :: No TXT record found at _acme-challenge.login.sys.cf.smart-iiot.io

IMPORTANT NOTES:

• The following errors were reported by the server:

Domain: uaa.sys.cf.smart-iiot.io
    Type: unauthorized
    Detail: No TXT record found at
    _acme-challenge.uaa.sys.cf.smart-iiot.io

Domain: sys.cf.smart-iiot.io
    Detail: No TXT record found at _acme-challenge.sys.cf.smart-iiot.io

Domain: login.sys.cf.smart-iiot.io
    _acme-challenge.login.sys.cf.smart-iiot.io

To fix these errors, please make sure that your domain name was
    entered correctly and the DNS A/AAAA record(s) for that domain
    contain(s) the right IP address.

My web server is (include version):
Not applicable

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
Cloud Foundry

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:
Google Cloud

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):
Yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
No

Hi,

As per Cloud DNS claimed, you might need to wait a few seconds before asking certbot to check the DNS records since GCP need time to process your change (request).

Do you mind to try asking it to check after 360 seconds (by adding the below argument)?
--dns-google-propagation-seconds 360

Thank you

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

I have tried the suggested delay (–dns-google-propagation-seconds 360), but the error message remains the same.

Do you have any way of checking that your credentials are still valid/working?:

Hi,

Yes, certbot is complaining:
Unsafe permissions on credentials configuration file: /secrets/google.json

I have also changed the path of where the credentials file was and tested. I have also generated a new service account, changed the credentials file and tested. It resulted in the same error.

So if you check your Cloud DNS dashboard for that domain is your TXT record being set at all? For google DNS I have seen it take an hour for all the nameservers to be reporting the correct response (3600 seconds).

I have not seen the TXT record. I am going to increase the propagation-seconds then to 3600 seconds and see if it will help

I saw the TXT entries in Cloud DNS dashboard, but it still generated the same errors:

• The following errors were reported by the server:

Domain: login.sys.cf.smart-iiot.io
    _acme-challenge.login.sys.cf.smart-iiot.io

Domain: uaa.sys.cf.smart-iiot.io
    _acme-challenge.uaa.sys.cf.smart-iiot.io

Domain: sys.cf.smart-iiot.io
    Detail: No TXT record found at _acme-challenge.sys.cf.smart-iiot.io

I have now decreased the propagation-seconds to 1200, to see if the result will differ.

I have noticed that it generates TXT records just for the first 3 entries. It is the remaining 3 entries that are generating the errors. I can’t see any difference between the first 3 and the last 3 wildcard dns entries.

Cerbot will not generate _acme-challenge TXT records for the following wildcards:
*.login.sys.cf.smart-iiot.io
*.sys.cf.smart-iiot.io
*.uaa.sys.cf.smart-iiot.io

Certbot will though generate _achme-challenge TXT records for the following wildcards:
*.apps.cf.smart-iiot.io
*.cf.smart-iiot.io
*.ws.cf.smart-iiot.io

Hi,

Do you have another machine that are on GCP or have gcloud installed?

You could set a long enough interval and login to the other machine, check if certbot has set the records inside GCP (sometimes it’s just pending effective)

https://cloud.google.com/dns/docs/monitoring

Thank you

Hi,

I have another machine on GCP. I will check it out.

Thank you.

Hi,

It still only generates three TXT records.

Thank you

I’m not sure…

Pinging certbot engineers: @schoen @bmw

Thank you

I think you meant @bmw instead of me :slight_smile:

My bad… Sorry…

1 Like

I haven’t worked on the Google plugin, but could you post the associated log from /var/log/letsencrypt in the hope that we can see what Certbot and the plugin are trying to do here?

letsencrypt.log.txt (67.6 KB)
Thank you.

Hi,

I think I know what the problem is. Any URL with a sub-domain sys generates an error. If I change *.sys.cf.smart-iiot.io to *.ttt.cf.smart-iiot.io then it will work simular to: *.login.sys.cf.smart-iiot.io *.uaa.sys.cf.smart-iiot.io. If I change them to *.login.ttt.cf.smart-iiot.io *.uaa.ttt.cf.smart-iiot.io, then it will work.