WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated

My domain is: [redacted]

I ran this command: /usr/local/bin/certbot-auto --apache

It produced this output:
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
augeas-lenses libgmp3c2 libmpfr4 cpp-4.4 cpp libgomp1 gcc-4.4 gcc libaugeas0
libc-dev-bin linux-libc-dev libc6-dev libffi5 libffi-dev libpython2.6
zlib1g-dev libssl-dev python2.6-dev python-dev python-pkg-resources
python-setuptools python-virtualenv
Install these packages without verification [y/N]? N
E: Some packages could not be authenticated

My web server is (include version): apache

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Debian 6 (Squeeze) 64-bit

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): no

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot): i do not have certbot yet, the error occurs when i try to run above command

I have read around a bit in the forums and I reckon our packages are outdated because our Debian is so outdated. However, since it is a live server, I do not want to risk uninstalling and reinstalling them for fear something goes wrong and i break the site. Also, so far i have not dared answering “yes” to the warning message because i am unsure what i risk when installing packages without verification.

At the moment it is not an option to update our server’s OS. Is there a way to still get certbot to issue a certificate (other than doing it manually every 90 days)? Or am i out of luck?

Thanks!

1 Like

Change your repository location?

Indeed, your operating system is several years out of support now:

https://www.debian.org/releases/squeeze/

Try adding --no-self-upgrade to your certbot-auto command line.

1 Like

such a great idea! unfortunately, the 22 problem packages are not packages to be updated but new packages to be installed.

@bmw, why would this matter with --no-self-upgrade? Shouldn’t that skip the apt step entirely?

Or do we also need --no-bootstrap?

1 Like

Ah! Progress. Or rather a new error. Thanks for your ongoing input.

"You have an ancient version of Python entombed in your operating system...
This isn't going to work; you'll need at least version 2.7."

on a different note: is it possible to edit my original post?

Did you want to remove the domain name?

yes. it occurred to me that this is getting quite specific :grimacing:

OK, I’ve removed the domain name.

1 Like

You might want to switch to acme.sh. It does have different conventions for where it saves your certificates, so you'd need to edit configuration files a little bit, but it should be able to run on older, unsupported systems.

thank you!

i will find out if they will let me update python or think it too risky on the live server.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.