Unable to Get A Certificate for ac.me Top Level Domain

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better.

My domain is: ac.me

I ran this command:certbot --apache

It produced this output:n unexpected error occurred:
The request message was malformed :: Name is an ICANN TLD
Please see the logfiles in /var/log/letsencrypt for more details.

My operating system is (include version): Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS

My web server is (include version): Apache/2.4.18

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: Academic network

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

hi @vladg

according to my research ac.me is a top level domain (for example .gov.us) so you will not be able to issue a certificate for it.

You should use a more specific sub domain such as youruniversityname.ac.me

.ac.me - Academic and post-secondary organizations such as universities; University of Montenegro has ucg.ac.me as its primary domain

Andrei

Hi ahaw021
Thank you for your quick reply.
Majority of our sites are directly with ac.me domain, but I will try to migrate them under university domain.

Best regards,

Vladimir

Hi Vladimir

if you are using subdomains eg: test1.ac.me then you will be able to issue certificates for them without migration.

can you give me some examples for the statement below?

Majority of our sites are directly with ac.me domain

Andrei

The name “ac.me.” does not seem to have any A or AAAA records…

…and to perhaps round out the responses, a certificate for “ac.me” wouldn’t be valid for “host.ac.me”–for that, you’d need a cert for “host.ac.me”, which Let’s Encrypt should be happy to issue, or “*.ac.me”, which they won’t–Let’s Encrypt doesn’t issue wildcard certificates.

1 Like

In contrast to this case, where I think the right answer is to get individual certificates for the university sites, there is a web site

http://ai/

which has the unusual position of having a web site directly on a top-level domain. I don’t think applicable policies have anticipated this situation; otherwise, it would be great to be able to issue a certificate for it.

etc…

I was hoping for the wild card sertificate :).
Per host than :).

Thanks

As stated above, Let’s Encrypt doesn’t offer wildcard certificates.

Even if they did, a certificate for *.ac.me would cover ucg.ac.me but not www.ucg.ac.me, so you’d still have to get one or more complicated certificates.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.