Too many requests - can I keep retrying every hour?

Hi all,

I get the error on a server that I did too many requests:

ACME server returned an error: urn:acme:error:rateLimited :: There were too many requests of a given type :: Error creating new cert :: too many certificates already issued for exact set of domains: my-server.com

I accidentally had my certificates in a volatile storage, so I was requesting a new one each time the service was started. This is fixed now.

I now have a process which tries to request the certificates every hour. Will I eventually be able to request a new certificate (after 7 days) or am I just shooting myself in the foot with script because every hour the request wait period will be reset to 0 when I request the certificates, meaning that I will never get a new certificate?

Thank you very much!

Also, an additional cute kitten for your pleasure: https://static.boredpanda.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/cute-kittens-9-57b30aa5797eb__605.jpg

2 Likes

That would work, yes.

The rate-limit you’re running into happens to be the one for duplicate domains, so you could also get around it by adding an additional (sub)domain to your request.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your feedback @pfg!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.