Too many certificates already issued for exact set of domains

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:
blog.dentalchat.com
I ran this command:
sudo certbot certonly --apache --email dr@dentalchat.com -d blog.dentalchat.com
It produced this output:
Error: urn:acme:error:rateLimited :: There were too many requests of a given type :: Error creating new cert :: too many certificates already issued for exact set of domains: blog.dentalchat.com: see https://letsencrypt.org/docs/rate-limits/
My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
Ubuntu 16.04
My hosting provider, if applicable, is:
DigitalOcean
I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):
Yes
I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
yes
The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot):certbot 0.31.0

Five certificates have been issued for that name today. Do you really need a sixth? Can you use one of the existing ones?

1 Like

hey, I dont want to issue another one. I am fairly new at this and I deleted my files as well. I dont have the pem keys as well. Is there any way I am recover them please?

If you have deleted the files they cannot be recovered. – Well the public key can but the private key is only ever stored on your server. You will be able to create additional certificates on 2019-10-29 at 08:15:48.

You should not delete certificates, always reuse them unless they are expired.

ohh, okay thanks. in the mean time is there anything I can do about it?

If you have, or can create, an additional subdomain, you can add that to the certificate request and then it’s no longer the “exact set of domains”.

okay. Thanks for your help

You can read more about rate limits. You have hit the "Duplicate Certificate" limit of 5 per week, but you can avoid that by changing the set of domains you request certificate for (e.g., add a new subdomain). Note that this still would be subject to "Certificates per Registered Domain" limit, which is 50 per week. It's best not to exceed the 50 certs per week limit.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.