Too many authorisation failure limit reached

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: gentecho.com

I ran this command: certbot --nginx -d gentecho.com -d www.gentecho.com

It produced this output:
Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Requesting a certificate for gentecho.com and www.gentecho.com
An unexpected error occurred:
Error creating new order :: too many failed authorizations recently: see Failed Validation Limit - Let's Encrypt
Ask for help or search for solutions at https://community.letsencrypt.org. See the logfile /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log or re-run Certbot with -v for more details.

My web server is (include version):
nginx version: nginx/1.22.0 (Ubuntu)

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
ubuntu 22

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:
digitalocean

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
no

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): certbot 1.29.0

The error you report here is clear. The web page for Failed Validation Limit says you get 5 failures per hour per hostname per account. So, you need to wait an hour.

But, did you fix the IPv6 problem in your other thread? Looks like you did not because I still see

Previous thread:

Please do not start a new thread for each different error message. It is more difficult for us volunteers to help if we can't easily see the history.

3 Likes

I have enabled ipv6 on my droplet , could you please recheck if there is no further changes needed or you could update me with new requirements with some reference links

Let's Debug is a "self-service" site.
[that means you can check it yourself]

Also, you should do your testing in the staging environment - not with LE production systems.

3 Likes

Testing and debugging are best done using the Staging Environment as the Rate Limits are much higher. And there are Failed Validation Limit - Let's Encrypt too.

And to assist with debugging there is a great place to start is Let's Debug.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.